Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin Assignment: Suitable for children?

derailed
#1 · Posted: 12 Oct 2005 10:49
Hi my Name is Ben Train and I am study a Bacholor of early childhood at UWS in australia. I'm writing an essay on Tintin and need to collect some data. If anyone has time to answer the following questions so i can include them in my data and responses for my essay it would be greatly appreciated.

1) Why do you like the Tintin series?

2) Are their any issues in the Tintin series you feel may be inappropriate for children?

3) Do you feel Tintin is a good role model for children?

4) Do you feel Captain Haddock is a good role model for children?

5) How do you feel children are portrayed in the Tintin series?

Answer as long or as short as you'd like

Thanks Ben
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 12 Oct 2005 14:00
Hi fellow Aussie Tintin fan!

1. Because they are exciting adventures and mysteries and cover lots of topics and much of modern histories issues. It doesn't treat its child readers like idiots, but respects them. They are really interesting and Captain Haddock is a classic character who provides lots of laughs.

2. Some people would say the drug taking/smuggling and gun handling, not to mention forgery, kidnapping and other things are not appropriate for children but they aren't shed in a positive light and are vital to the core of some of the stories. My answer would be no.

3. Yes, almost to good. He is very innocent and respectful of people, helps the underdog and always captures the bad guys. He's honest, adventurous and quite selfless in his attitude. But he isn't all that realistic, because all humans have some flaws.

4. Yes and no. He's an alcoholic salior with a terrible temper but he is also extremely loyal and would make a great friend. He has a heart of gold but doesn't want anyone to know about it. His abuse of alcohol is seen as funny and when I was a kid I always viewed it that Herge was cleverley pointing out the evils of having to much.

5. There aren't many but those that are seem to be respectful although they may play the odd prank or two (Quick and Flupke - Seven Crystal Balls)

Hope this helps you mate!
theone
#3 · Posted: 13 Oct 2005 02:22
Okay, here goes:

1) I like Tintin first, because the characters and setting are likeable. Second, because the stories are well-crafted and are engaging, well written, and well drawn. Third, because as Tintinrulz said, while it is a comic book, it doesn't treat the audience like children (even though that's the general audience).

2) For children who are very young, say, under eight, I think the books that deal with drugs and so forth would be questionable, as well as Tintin using firearms or stealing cars, which may confuse little kids who always have the idea that anyone with a firearm is a bad guy. But as long as these are properly explained, or the kids are old enough, they shouldn't be a problem.

3) Yes, Tintin is definitely a good role model. Later on in the series, as Tintinrulz said, he does get a little unrealistic because he does not have any flaws at all. But, for children, he has a strong moral code which would be a very good influence on children.

4) This one is a bit more questionable. Overall, I would say Captain Haddock is a reasonably good influence, because while they may not be as strong as Tintin's, he does show throughout the series that he has strong morals, and that he is very brave. However, I think his alcoholism is a portrayed a little too lightly and may not be too good of an influence on children.

5) Children are portrayed positively for most of Tintin. In Blue Lotus, Chang is a brave character who sticks by Tintin, and similarly, in Prisoners of the Sun, Zorrino is equally loyal, so they are treated as normal characters but with innocence.
snafu
#4 · Posted: 13 Oct 2005 05:14
1) Why do you like the Tintin series?
Everyone has something to get from Tintin. The younger set will enjoy the high-quality drawings, while the older ones can look at Herge's motives for creating the plots.

2) Are their any issues in the Tintin series you feel may be inappropriate for children?
It might be too violent overall.

3) Do you feel Tintin is a good role model for children?
He is as an exemplary person. But he, like Caine of the TV series Kung Fu (David Carradine), is so perfect that he is nearly unbelievable--nobody's perfect. But there are things that are worth emulating from both characters.

4) Do you feel Captain Haddock is a good role model for children?
Yes and no. Haddock's deep-down devotion to Tintin is a type of loyalty worth having (unfortunately, during this time when character isn't value, people don't desire this), and children should be taught this. At that same time, however, he is sort of a clown, especially while drunk. He also makes too many wild faces, which kids eventually should grow out of.

5) How do you feel children are portrayed in the Tintin series?
Depends on the kids. As mentioned by the previous poster, Zorrino and Chang are good kids, but on the flip side of the coin, one also finds Quick and Flupke, who aren't so desirable.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!