Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Snowy: Do you find him irritating?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

luciebix
#1 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 13:49
Is it only me, or does anyone else find Snowy a bit annoying?

I think I would feel more sympathetic towards him if he didn't talk, for example, I really feel for him when he loses Tintin in China, or when he waits outside prison for him, but the smart comments make him more like an irritating person than a dog.

Whereas I absolutely love Dogmatix in the Asterix books, because he is a real dog!
Charles
#2 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 14:13
Most of the time I like Snowy's commentary. He usually offers a different point of view from the other characters - for example, in the many places where he warns Tintin against taking a risk.
Sometimes Snowy's "smart comments" really seem justified, as in Destination Moon, when he remarks about his ridiculously large radiation suit that "It's very thoughtful of Professor Calculus, but he must have measured a Saint Bernard!" (Not exact quotation, can't find Destination Moon right now.)

Just my two cents.
SingingGandalf
#3 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 14:13
I absolutely love Dogmatix in the Asterix books, because he is a real dog!

Dogmatix is a ''perfect dog''. If you know real terriers though, or at least one's like mine, they are far more like Snowy - willing to fight. The word terrier comes from the latin for terror. They were used for hunting.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 7 Apr 2006 15:56
I like Snowy, personally - I think he plays an important part in the stories, and am actually disappointed that he had less to do in the later books. As for his making comments, well, I think Hergé just took the opportunity to make funny asides.

SingingGandalf
The word terrier comes from the latin for terror.

I actually think the Latin it ultimately derives from is “terra” or “earth” - given that they were used to get animals out of their burrows - rather than “terrere”/ “frighten”. Old French had “chien terrier” - “earth dog” - which came to English with the Norman invasion.
Tintin Quiz
#5 · Posted: 10 Apr 2006 05:38
I thnk Snowy would agree with you:

"I can't stand animals who talk." to Haddock's Siamese (speaking of Iago, the parrot) in The Castifore Emerald.
Jorgen221
#6 · Posted: 11 Apr 2006 16:21
I like Snowy. The bond between him and Tintin is one of the many strong points of the comics.
SingingGandalf
#7 · Posted: 11 Apr 2006 17:04
Face it, without Snowy, Tintin never would have been a success. It was those early years that determined whether Tintin would carry on, and in those early years, Snowy was part of what made Tintin a success. Without Snowy, maybe only a couple of Tintin adventures would have been made, they'd still be in black and white, hardly anyone would have ever heard of them and they would not be in English. Snowy is a vital part of Tintin's success. You can't have one without the other.
Rajpal
#8 · Posted: 12 Apr 2006 03:45
Is Snowy irritating?

ONLY in the animation series. He just keeps barking every few seconds and even WHEN not required.

I love him in the books
cigars of the beeper
#9 · Posted: 29 Jul 2006 16:35
I don't think snowy is annoying. one of my favorite comments from him is when in cigars of the pharaoh he says to Rastapopoulos "so what? who cares?" when Rastapopoulos yells at Tintin for interfering with him and that "someday you will regret that you crossed paths with Rastapopoulos." I do notice though that in the last three complete books, snowy "thinks" instead of talking.
Zangara
#10 · Posted: 30 Jul 2006 12:07
Oh please...haha!

Snowy's little "thoughts" are all his own.. he does not talk. If you don't want to be annoyed by Snowy's occasional thoughts..than simply keep yourself immersed into the real world that only Tintin and Co. are in. I mean, can you imagine if Snowy REALLY DID TALK? Out loud!? Now THAT would ruin it for everyone, I agree.

But hey, a simple author's note to let us in on the "expressions" of a dog is nothing more than harmless fun.

Chris Z.

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!