Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Information wanted: Examples of political propaganda "The Adventures of Tintin"?

mbsp0k
#1 · Posted: 26 May 2006 01:16
Greetings to all you Tintinologists out there!

I'm one of these boring students who pick their topics here because of their own research in school about Tintin. In my case the project is a website in children book-studies and the theme is politics and "hidden" meaning in Hergé's stories about Tintin. I am a great fan my self and did I therefore choose this topic.

I see there has been a talk about the WW connecting to Tintin and some arguing of political propaganda, but I haven't ,well, found any really good info on the subject.

My question is therefore this:
In your opinion: is there any political propaganda in Tintin?

- If yes, where, and how is it shown and what does it tell us about the personal feelings (opinion) of Hergé?

-If no, explain further your conclusion.

If you're not so fortunate to have an interest or an opinion about the subject, please tell me where to find on-line some research of the matter.

Best wishes from Iceland and thanks beforehand.
yamilah
#2 · Posted: 26 May 2006 12:35
politics and "hidden" meaning in Herge's stories about Tintin.

About politics, I'm afraid most studies are in French & in books, such as the Canadian Mort aux tyrans! Tintin, les enfants, la politique, by Pierre Skilling, edition Nota Bene, 2001.
see http://www.scom.ulaval.ca/Au.fil.des.evenements/2002/02.21/tintin.html
Plus 2 or 3 thesises done in Belgium & France.

Other links:
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~markaar/essee3.htm
http://www.clg.qc.ca/for/reg/dep/700/actint/2003/tintin/index.html
http://www.resistances.be/tintin.html

About a "hidden" meaning in Tintin, I very much doubt it conceals any secret political message or any subliminal propaganda, but who knows?
mbsp0k
#3 · Posted: 26 May 2006 17:01
Thanks for the links, but I was thinking...
Since there is so much only in French could you perhaps tell me a bit about the research?
Thanks again
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 26 May 2006 22:49
I think there's plenty of political references and slants in Tintin. I've summarised the ones that I think would be most relevant:

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets : anti-Communist, portrays the Soviet state as built on lies and oppression of the people. This may not have been Hergé's personal view but he was told by the head of the newspaper to write a story following these lines, and was given a book for reference (Joseph Douillet's Moscou sans Voiles); sections of Hergé's book are pulled directly from Douillet's.

Tintin in the Congo : Belgian dominance of the Congo. Again, towing the line of the newspaper, Hergé simply wrote what he was told. This was very much the view of the time in Belgium during the '30s so it wouldn't have been considered reactionary.

Tintin in America : criticism of the capitalist system and parodies of the US (big business, the Depression, prohibition); it sort of mentions the US attitudes toward the native Americans.

The Blue Lotus : heavily political; supports China and criticises Japan's actions such as the invasion of Manchuria following the blowing up of the railway. It was written with the assistance of Tchang, so he was able to give Hergé the truth. This is Hergé's first serious work, it goes against the view prevalent in Belgium at the time and received a lot of complaints from the Japanese embassies.

The Broken Ear : South American revolutions (Alcazar and Tapioca), based on the events of the day. Also US big business - witness the war fought for oil, which is sadly as relevant today as ever.

King Ottokar's Sceptre : analogy of current affairs, Nazi Germany's Anschluss of Austria. Also pro-monarchy which is significant as Hergé was a personal friend of the King of Belgium.

The Shooting Star : possibly analogy of the war, the threat of the end of the world being a metaphor for the state of Europe. All scientists are members of neutral or Axis countries, and in the original edition went up against a US-funded expedition. There's loads of info about this on the net.

The Calculus Affair : analogy of the cold war, secret weapons that the Bordurians covet to use against Syldavia and vice versa; similarities can be drawn with the US and Soviet Union. Secret services and military control of the countries is also a strong feature of this book. You could possibly argue that Hergé was a pacifist and chose to have Calculus to destroy all his work instead of risking it falling into the wrong hands.

The Red Sea Sharks : political turmoil in the Middle East, slight questioning of suitability of the people in power (Kalish Ezab's pandering to Abdullah's every request, although that's perhaps just for comedy).

Flight 714 : the revolution in Sondenisia is used by Rastapopoulos as a way to exploit the people. Carriedas is shown to be a cheat and no different to Rastapopoulos, which could perhaps be linked to the big business criticism from America.

Tintin and the Picaros : one of the most political books in the series along with The Blue Lotus, it takes the themes explored in The Broken Ear but to a more mature level. Strongly cynical, shows the impact that revolutions have on the people (contrast of panels showing the people living in shantytowns under Tapioca and Alcazar). Critical of Alcazar who's shown to be after power and little else - he threatens to execute Tintin- and Tapioca is shown to make alcohol drops by parachute to cripple the Picaros. Their discussion toward the end about the non-execution shows how neither is better than the other. Foreign diplomats are also drafted in to assist in security and setting up of the secret services.

There's probably more I've missed, but that should give you a good structure to work with. Michael Farr's The Complete Companion might perhaps be of help if you can get a copy. Good luck with the project!
mbsp0k
#5 · Posted: 29 May 2006 16:39
Thanks a million I'd tell you the adress to the site but it's all in Icelandic so it won't do you much good ;)
Thanks again...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!