Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Some questions about Tintin

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

sponsz
#1 · Posted: 3 Aug 2006 16:21
1. Date and title of the first Tintin comic?
2. How many titles were published?
3. In which language was Tintin first translated from the French language, which year and which title?
4. Do their appeared an "Armenian" in one of the Tintin adventures?

Thanks for your quick answers.
71N71Nfan
#2 · Posted: 4 Aug 2006 06:57
The first Tintin comic page was released on the 10th of January 1929 I think... and there were 24 adventures...

Though I may be wrong...

-Em
Stas Werno
#3 · Posted: 4 Aug 2006 18:16
First Tintin was Tintin au pays des soviets, started in 1929, completed in 1931. 24 titles were published. I beleive the first translation was to English though I could be wrong. The year and first title I couldn't say, but I know it's mentioned in Farr's Companion, so I'll look through it tomorow (maybe Golden Claws?). I don't believe there's an Armenian in the books, definately not a main character.
marsbar
#4 · Posted: 5 Aug 2006 02:11
Mikael Uhlin and yamilah both noticed that Carreidas' grandfather was from Armenia - see "Q24: Armenian connections" in the Tintin Trivia Challenge board.
Mikael Uhlin
#5 · Posted: 5 Aug 2006 08:31
In which language was Tintin first translated from the French language, which year and which title?

Early on, there were Dutch/Flemish versions of Tintin (or Kuifje which is his name in Flemish), both in papers and albums. I'm not sure of the first title but I would guess there was a Flemish version right from the start, i.e. Land of the Soviets. BTW, the next title, Tintin au Congo, is named Kuifje in Afrika in Dutch.
Harrock n roll
#6 · Posted: 5 Aug 2006 13:30
3. In which language was Tintin first translated from the French language, which year and which title?

I believe it may have been Portuguese. As early as 1936 the children's magazine O Papagaio serialised Tintin in America (called Aventuras de Tim-Tim na América do Norte and in colour too!)

As far as I'm aware a Flemish translation didn't appear until 1940 (Tintin in the Congo in Het Laatste Nieuws) and Netherlands Dutch first came with the weekly Kuifje magazine in 1946.
Mikael Uhlin
#7 · Posted: 5 Aug 2006 16:21
As far as I'm aware a Flemish translation didn't appear until 1940 (Tintin in the Congo in Het Laatste Nieuws)

So there was no Flemish equivalent during the Petit Vingtieme-years?
BTW, the first Swedish translation appeared in 1948 in a weekly named 25:an. Up until 1955 they published Congo, America, Black Island (as Tintin i Skottland, i.e. Tintin in Scotland), Crystal Balls, Prisoners of the sun, Ottokar and Unicorn (but not Rackham!)
yamilah
#8 · Posted: 7 Aug 2006 18:41
Harrock n roll:
As far as I'm aware a Flemish translation didn't appear until 1940 (Tintin in the Congo in Het Laatste Nieuws)

I think you're right: here's a link that confirms the first Flemish Tintin -Tintin in Kongo- was prepublished as of 26 September 1940 in the 'stolen' Het Laatste Nieuws.

Tintin's name turned into 'Kuifje' as of 27 October 1943, i.e. halfway during De geheimzinnige Ster - 'The Shooting Star' prepublication. See http://www.gva.be/dossiers/-k/kuifje/dossier.asp

Tintin's universal variants (Tim, Tin Tin, Tim Tin, etc.) make an odd sort of sense and are thus likely connected with some WRITING, i.e. data seen mainly in dialogue boxes, i.e. in a SPACE of a kind, contrary to Kuifje ('little quiff'), Tintin's Flemish name connected with DRAWING, that appeared 14 years later, i.e. after a long TIME. See 'KIFE-yuh Kwestion: why is Tintin called Kuifje in Dutch' thread.

Tintin's names thus seem to match successively TEXT & IMAGE, or SPACE & TIME.

Perhaps frustrating* Tintin is just 'amplified*' or 'lost in translation', and his syllables have to cross some 'invisible' language barrier(s)* or Borders** likely connected -somehow or other- with the weird spatiotemporelle VIRTUALITE* mentioned in Alph-art 2004? (p.55).

--
* please search for related threads.
** not to say Bordures, the military* with four* WRITTEN symbols.
Harrock n roll
#9 · Posted: 8 Aug 2006 01:36
One other thing worth mentioning about Tintin's debut in Flemish in Het Laatste Nieuws is that the Congo and America stories were redrawn, making 3 versions of both stories (black & white, Het Laatste Nieuws and colour). There are some pages from them reprinted in Chronologie 5.

Back on topic: sponsz, I'm intrigued to know why you asked these questions. Some kind of quiz or a bet?
sponsz
#10 · Posted: 8 Aug 2006 13:07
The director of Sigest , Mr.Jean Sirapian asked me those questions.

Jean Sirapian
Directeur de Sigest
http://editions.sigest.net

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!