Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Professor Paul Cantonneau

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

yamilah
#11 · Posted: 16 Nov 2006 12:28
Tintinrulz
By refering to it as a 'childish game' you're implying that it is both simple and obvious, when the reality is that neither is true.

I meant childish*, by reference to Herge's assertion about the way he managed to tell a message in his artwork, in 'Tintin et moi' DVD.

Harrock n roll
Assuming Cantonneau is a geologist is quite sensible, and imho this could hardly be seen as overinterpretation.
In that case, the fact he accepted to take part in both expeditions shows the same scholar can be somehow interested in both ethnology and astronomy simply via soil study, and his interests aren't necessarily as 'diverse' or as 'dissimilar' as could be imagined.

Thanks indeed to those who help to make things more clear!
jock123
#12 · Posted: 16 Nov 2006 12:35
yamilah
by reference to Herge's assertion about the way he managed to tell a message in his artwork, in 'Tintin et moi' DVD.
Could you supply the citation for that reference - a time or somesuch on the DVD, so that others may listen to this too?

the fact he accepted to take part in both expeditions shows he can be interested in both ethnology and astronomy simply via the soils' study,
That doesn’t follow at all: the expeditions may need an expert to study geology, but that geologist may have no interest in either astronomy or ethnography.
yamilah
#13 · Posted: 16 Nov 2006 13:36
that geologist may have no interest in either astronomy or ethnography.

The fact is he participates and is thus connected with two rather dissimilar expeditions, be he interested or not interested in those fields.
Thanks for mentioning this possibly subjective interpretation of January 2006, and for making things more clear.

About the film, I saw it twice on TV, hopefully it's the same version as the DVD. I'll try my best.
Balthazar
#14 · Posted: 17 Nov 2006 10:20
I don't know what Cantonneau's academic discipline was, but of course he became much more famous as a footballer considerably later in his life. During his time as Manchester United's star player in the 1990s, his surname became the basis for one of the most shouted football chants of that era: "OOH! OH! CANTONNEAU!"

Some of you may think I'm getting two different people muddled up, but I'd argue there's strong evidence that the portly, moustachioed professor and the iconic Gallic ball-booter are one and the same person. The footballer's pseudo-philosophical cryptic musings about seagulls following trawlers etc (worthy of yamilah!) clearly suggest that he did indeed have a former career as a Swiss-French academic. And that notorious flying kick against a Crystal Palace fan in 1995 could only have been performed by someone who'd had Savate lessons from Professor Calculus. (Maybe the word "Crystal" in the opposing team's name brought back bad flashback memories for poor old Cantonneau, which triggered his violent behaviour.)
yamilah
#15 · Posted: 17 Nov 2006 11:56
Balthazar
..there's strong evidence that the portly, moustachioed professor and the iconic Gallic ball-booter are one and the same person.

Maybe you could also tell us about even more pertinent red herrings, such as astrology, or Cantona's horoscope?
see http://www.astrotheme.fr/en/portraits/R3H4tMZChDrb.htm

Imho Cantonneau's geological connections with both Indians & stars can be more pertinent, constructive, and even make you more down-to-earth...

What about a geological 'cipher' or 'letter' in the albums, namely a real-life earth-linked character liable to stand for Indians and stars, as both are connected with geology in Tintin's totally unique world*, via Cantonneau the geologist?
jock123
#16 · Posted: 17 Nov 2006 12:28
yamilah
more pertinent red herrings, such as astrology
Ah, so you are saying that when you yourself introduced astrology here, as one of your themes for Hergé’s (supposed) hidden message, that it was in fact a red-herring? Or are you demonstrating yet again that the only way to “decipher” the “message” is to make up the rules?

Frankly I think that you are missing the point that Balthazar is demonstrating: you can take almost any feature in the books and apply your own interpretations to them and make them mean anything.

What you have yet to show is that your scheme makes any more sense than that of Balthazar.

What about a geological 'cipher' or 'letter' in the albums, namely a real-life earth-linked character liable to stand for Indians and stars, as both are connected with geology in Tintin's totally unique world*, via Cantonneau the geologist?

What indeed? You now absorb the idea that Canntoneau may be a geologist into the convolutions of your theory, and suddenly it fits? You thought he was an ethnologist yesterday - that doesn’t make your system sound very rigorous now, does it?
yamilah
#17 · Posted: 17 Nov 2006 19:52
jock123
Ah, so you are saying that when you yourself introduced astrology here, as one of your themes for Herge's (supposed) hidden message, that it was in fact a red-herring?
Mind you, astrology was mentioned to illustrate occultism, but noways occultation, as explained in the thread you quote only partially!

Or are you demonstrating yet again that the only way to "decipher" the "message" is to make up the rules?
Mind you, there are maybe still many more similar 'made up' rules to come, that all lead to the same clues to the message, said in different ways, via more avatars* or amplifications*, all connected with text and image...

For instance, Jorgen's military* connections incite him to merge Syldavia & Borduria, i.e. image (Sealed avian*) & text linked to language barriers (Borders*), just like Cantonneau's connections with stars* & Indians* match both image (drawn Crab*) & text (Ile Noir*), just like Cantonneau's 'new' unique geological connection can actually be rendered by a unique erstwhile earth-linked letter found in various albums, just like the Genevan* 'potter*' or erstwhile draughtsman-writer is artistically connected with image and text, etc, etc, etc.

Frankly I think that you are missing the point that Balthazar is demonstrating: you can take almost any feature in the books and apply your own interpretations to them and make them mean anything.
What you have yet to show is that your scheme makes any more sense than that of Balthazar.

Frankly, I'm sorry, I can't see any connection between Cantona and Tintin, in the albums...

Please don't forget you are just given here the bare living of it, and nobody will ever play the game for you, most likely not even Herge 007* in 2007.

"What about a geological 'cipher' or 'letter' in the albums, namely a real-life earth-linked character liable to stand for Indians and stars, as both are connected with geology in Tintin's totally unique world*, via Cantonneau the geologist?"
Mind you, What indeed? You now absorb the idea that Canntoneau may be a geologist into the convolutions of your theory, and suddenly it fits? You thought he was an ethnologist yesterday - that doesn't make your system sound very rigorous now, does it?

About 'new' rules that noways exclude the 'old' ones -as long as they also match the album's data- please see above.

For the interested ones who believe in Tintin's 'unique world', a clue to the weird 'earth-letter' is its avatar* has been discussed at length on this site.

* please search for related threads.
yamilah
#18 · Posted: 21 Nov 2006 23:20
jock123
'by reference to Herge's assertion about the way he managed to tell a message in his artwork, in 'Tintin et moi' DVD'.
Could you supply the citation for that reference - a time or somesuch on the DVD, so that others may listen to this too?

Here it is: the words 'message' or 'oeuvre porteuse d'un message' can be heard at 02:17 and 02:19

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!