Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Calculus Affair: About the cigarette box

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 25 Mar 2007 04:10
Here's some info connected with Q158 about Macedonia, 'burnt to ashes' in The Calculus Affair.

How is Macedonia spelt in the various Cyrillic languages?

- МАКЕДОНИЯ in Russian (Русский), Bulgarian (Български) & Kazak (KазаKша)
- МАКЕДОНИ in Chuvash (Чăвашла)
- МАКЕДОНІЯ in Belarusian (Беларуская) & Ukrainian (Українська)
- МАКЕДОНИЈА in Macedonian (Македонски) & Serbian (Српски)

Thus Herge's "МАЗЕДОНИА", with its funny З that makes it actually sound as MAZEDONIA, looks more personal than pertaining to a Cyrillic language, including Macedonian itself...

Maybe there's some good reason to it?
motheroftintin
#2 · Posted: 25 Mar 2007 19:47
yamilah
МАКЕДОНИЯ in Russian (Русский)

You're wrong about the Russian spelling(I'm half Russian). It would be МАСДОНИЯ.
Tintin Quiz
#3 · Posted: 26 Mar 2007 04:38
Isn't this likely just one more of the many faux-foreign words in various Tintin books?
tuhatkauno
#4 · Posted: 26 Mar 2007 12:10
Thanks Tintin Quiz for the information

To be honest I didn't know that the Macedonia Cigarettes pack is in your page. It seems to be extremely difficult to find an issue which hasn't been paid attention to.
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 26 Mar 2007 19:43
motheroftintin
МАКЕДОНИЯ in Russian (Русский)
You're wrong about the Russian spelling(I'm half Russian). It would be МАСДОНИЯ.

Noways... Google gives 3,840,000 entries for МАКЕДОНИЯ, but not a single one for your funny МАСДОНИЯ...
Maybe you are mistaken with МАСДОНАЛД (MacDonald)?
tuhatkauno
#6 · Posted: 27 Mar 2007 18:22
Hello

I asked two of my friends (Russian, Bulgarian) how Macedonia should be spelled in Russia and Bulgaria. And they both said МАКЕДОНИЯ is a correct spelling in Russian as well as in Bulgarian. So Yamilah seems to be right.

Herge's version is his own pseudo-cyrillic language.
motheroftintin
#7 · Posted: 29 Mar 2007 02:43
Oh... Hey, I know the word "Macedonia" only from the times I've read ahead in school- is it pronounced like Masedonia or makedonia?
If it's the second then I'm wrong, because "C"s can only be pronounced "ssss" in Russian.
(If is not, than I'm probably still wrong...)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!