Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The Captain and Castafiore: Are they secretly in love?

Page  Page 6 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#51 · Posted: 15 Jul 2008 13:48
Keep calm, my friend. You can click "edit" and fix it. Unfortunately, even after you fix that, you won't be able to remove your post saying that you misspelled something. You'll only be able to make it say something different. Also, if you're worried about spelling, "soz" is not a word, and also you said "spelt" instead of "spelled".
Balthazar
#52 · Posted: 15 Jul 2008 15:03
cigars of the beeper
... you said "spelt" instead of "spelled".

Actually, Cigars, since we're getting into a spelling-correction session, I'll point out that "spelt" is a perfectly correct alternative to "spelled", at least in British English. Admittedly, it may be becoming a bit archaic, with many modern writers, editors and publishers tending to choose "spelled" for preference, but "spelt" is still there in the dictionaries as a completely mainstream word. From your post, I'd guess that spelt has become obsolete in American English, or was maybe never used in the States. I think the same may be true of similar past-tense verbs like leapt (pronounced lept) as an alternative to leaped, or dreamt (pronounced dremt) as an alternative to dreamed.

Ayway, I hope you don't mind me correcting your correction, Cigars. I do so out of a shared interest in English, rather than pedantry. Now someone else will probably find a spelling or factual error in this post, and this thread will end up in a long chain of corrections!

To get back on topic, and back to Tintinagalog's original observation, yes, I think Haddock may be sexually attracted to Castafiore, but subconsciously so, and in a way that his conscious self fears.

You could argue that Castafiore, with her full figure (one of the few female characters in Tintin with a proper bust!), her gushing, emotional nature, and her tendency to almost uncontrollably burst into bouts of high-pitched, full-throated singing, represents Haddock's fear of female sexuality. Haddock's nightmare of being naked in The Castafiore Emerald seems quite suggestive, as does his nightmare at the start of Alph-Art where she actually invades his bed. And there are aspects in the scenes where Castafiore physically touches Haddock in The Castafiore Emerald which could be interpreted as having a sexual subtext - her leather gloved hands covering his eyes, a rose with a bee-sting concealed within its petals, etc.

Goodness, I'm starting to sound like a French academic. I'd better go and have a cold shower or a long walk.
cigars of the beeper
#53 · Posted: 16 Jul 2008 12:33
Balthazar:
Actually, Cigars, since we're getting into a spelling-correction session, I'll point out that "spelt" is a perfectly correct alternative to "spelled", at least in British English. Admittedly, it may be becoming a bit archaic, with many modern writers, editors and publishers tending to choose "spelled" for preference, but "spelt" is still there in the dictionaries as a completely mainstream word. From your post, I'd guess that spelt has become obsolete in American English, or was maybe never used in the States. I think the same may be true of similar past-tense verbs like leapt (pronounced lept) as an alternative to leaped, or dreamt (pronounced dremt) as an alternative to dreamed.

Yeah, I've never heard the word "spelt" before, but I think that if I had thought about it, I would have realized that it was a British alternative to "spelled". I actually often enjoy using such words, because no one else over here uses them, so, now I know of one I can use.
Aileea
#54 · Posted: 27 Oct 2008 11:57
I think it would be very funny and cute if Archie and the Castafiore married and got children... I´m sure they would soon take over their father´s vocabulary. ^^
71N71Nfan
#55 · Posted: 30 Oct 2008 02:32
*wanders in*

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's considered this pairing. I've always thought that Haddock has had a crush on Bianca, and him running away half the time was simply because he was too afraid/embarrassed to admit it.

Oh Lord. The children. *head explodes*

I doubt that Calculus would give her away to the Captain. Afterall, I'm sure she has her OWN father for that... And even if she didn't, I believe that she'd feel perfectly capable of walking herself down the isle. ^__^

Snowy would totally be the ring bearer. I had a teacher back in grade 5 who had a trained labrador that walked down the isle with the ring-cusion tied around her neck. I can see Snowy doing the same, if not for Haddock then for Tintin. I dunno, I suppose the Emir might insist that Abdullah be the ring bearer... And Bianca would probably be inclined to comply.

However, two thoughts have struck me. One is in relation to the wedding itself. Imagine the gathering of people! On one side of the room would be Bianca's family and well-to-do friends, all rich and prominent figures of society, tearfully happy that Bianca has finally reached such a pointin her life. On the other side, Captain's old sea buddies, howling and hooting for their mate. The idea makes me giggle. XD

The second thought is this: how the flop would Captain break it to Tintin??? Poor kid, he'd be so confused. "Why on earth would you marry the Signora? I thought you didn't like her? *brainmelt*" Ah, his youthful mind... Not yet aware of the magic and mystery in regards to love and other such feelings. :3

Nah, I actually think he was secretly plotting to hook them up. Why else would he hide them in the opera in 'The Calculus Affair'? XD

An interesting subject indeed...

On a side-note, I'm fairly certain Australia is more accustomed to spelt, leapt, dreamt and other such words, because I've never heard the concept of spelling them otherwise. Oh well, I guess it's like how we spell words like realise and institutionalise with an 's' rather than a 'z', and colour and favour with a 'u' instead of without. *shrugs*
Grey
#56 · Posted: 4 Nov 2008 13:04
The Captain and Bianca would make quite a cute couple. Opposites attract y'know ;)
NikkiRoux
#57 · Posted: 25 Jan 2009 07:06
The Captain didn't seem as afraid of Bianca in The Red Sea Sharks as in the other books.
Voluma
#58 · Posted: 27 Jan 2009 10:10
NikkiRoux:
The Captain didn't seem as afraid of Bianca in The Red Sea Sharks as in the other books.

I thought he wanted to get back on the raft? I don't know, he seemed to react to her pretty normally in my opinion.

71N71Nfan:
Nah, I actually think he was secretly plotting to hook them up. Why else would he hide them in the opera in 'The Calculus Affair'? XD

You may have a point there! Actually I think Tintin is hoping they'll get together. X3 If only to see what happens. What about the honeymoon? They could never agree. And even if they did agree, something distasterous would happen, and Tintin would just love that. Secretly.

O_O Something very strange just occured to me: stag night. Can you picture it??
Balthazar
#59 · Posted: 27 Jan 2009 10:42
Voluma
stag night. Can you picture it??

I can picture Jolyon Wagg taking it upon himself to organise the captain a "hilarious" stag night, without being asked and at the captain's expense. I don't know if I want to picture what it would be like.

These days though, many people seem to need to organise whole stag weekends, doing adventurous, laddish things in rugged or exotic locations with all the their male friends, so Tintin's globe-trotting and adventuring experience might come in handy.
Tintin could organise go-carting round those Indian mountain roads that feature at the end of Cigars of the Pharaoh, for instance. Or extreme sky-diving in Syldavia, white-water rafting over South American waterfalls, or tubing with Yetis in the Himalayas.
Voluma
#60 · Posted: 27 Jan 2009 10:50
Balthazar:
doing adventurous, laddish things in rugged or exotic locations with all the their male friends, so Tintin's globe-trotting and adventuring experience might come in handy.

...Yes, he could. He would, too, I think. =)
When my stepdad married my mum, his friends hired speedboats. They managed to sink one somehow. I think Tintin could do a better job than that, as you mentioned, though whether Archie would be grateful is less certain...

Page  Page 6 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!