Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Is Tintin musically talented?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Harrock n roll
#11 · Posted: 23 Nov 2008 19:05
Balthazar:
So doh doesn't have to be any particular note; it could be A, A sharp, B, C, C sharp, D, etc, all the way through to G sharp, depending on which key you choose or happen to be in.

I was just reading about Solfège (the do, re, mi scale) and realised that whilst this is true for English-speaking countries that use the 'Movable do' system (Australia, Ireland, the UK, the USA and English-speaking Canada), the 'fixed do' system is used in Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Belgium, and Latin American countries.

In other words, for countries that use the 'fixed do' system, Do is always C. I'm guessing, but it's possible that Tintin would have used this system, since he's Belgian. So maybe he did have perfect pitch...
cigars of the beeper
#12 · Posted: 23 Nov 2008 21:55
I'm back...

If you look at the facsimile edition of Cigars of the Pharaoh, you will see that in the original version, Tintin did have pitch holes (if that is what they are called) drilled into it, and even a music stand at one point (Both things can be found on page 68). So, Tintin would have been able to play a large number of notes on it. Now, would a wooden horn really make much noise at all?
cigee
#13 · Posted: 24 Nov 2008 01:15
I love a good debate as much as anyone, but let's all remember that when Hergé was writing "Cigars", it was before he started documenting himself, and trying to be as realistic as possible. Therefore, the whole story, including the passsages where Tintin communicates with the elephants, should be taken more like a humourous fantasy than anything else.
tuhatkauno
#14 · Posted: 24 Nov 2008 06:56
Harrock n roll:
In other words, for countries that use the 'fixed do' system, Do is always C.

What is the point of the whole do-re-mi -system, if do, re, mi are absolute notes? Well it is none of my business to judge but ...

cigars of the beeper:
Tintin did have pitch holes

If that's so, I must withdraw my accusation: Herge didn't make any mistake in this case.
Harrock n roll
#15 · Posted: 24 Nov 2008 09:39
tuhatkauno:
What is the point of the whole do-re-mi -system, if do, re, mi are absolute notes?

In the fixed do system the sharps and flats are ignored (so C and C♯ are both Do), so they're not quite absolute notes. I think many people prefer the fixed do system because they're learning the correct pitch, but I take your point. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

In the colour book Tintin says "Sol-Lah-Te-Doh" is 'yes' and "Doh-Te-Lah-Sol" is 'no', so I wonder whether Hergé was partly thinking of 'Solresol', which is an artificial language invented in the nineteenth century, based on the solflege musical system. In that language reversing the syllables also reverses the meaning. Just a thought...

cigee:
the passsages where Tintin communicates with the elephants, should be taken more like a humourous fantasy than anything else.

The way Tintin progresses from simple phrases like "yes" or "I want a drink" to more complex ones like "We need special help... can you take us to a village?" is quite astonishing!
ilovetintin
#16 · Posted: 4 Nov 2009 06:10
Tintin is clever at every thing, of course he's musical.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!