Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Colour v Black & White: Versions and chronology questions

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Eivind
#21 · Posted: 16 Dec 2012 09:41
Actually, what I mean is that Congo and America were not good enough to be modernised. It is not just a question about putting them into colour. As far as I understand (I only have the modernised colour version), he also drew the whole stories in his new ligne claire style. My point is that it is ok enough that the original black and white stories were republished, just for curiosity, as it is interesting to see Herges development as an artist, but the stories did not deserve to the work of redrawing and colourising. In fact, the modernised version fails to show Herges development and are therefore much less interesting than the original versions. I must admit that America is better than the first two, but still not good enough for redrawing. It is only with Cigars of the Pharaoh that the quality was sufficiently good.
Harrock n roll
#22 · Posted: 7 Oct 2013 21:35
tintin_forever:
I was trying to make a list of which of Hergé's Tintin books he created first in black and white

I think this list of publication dates, which I put together a few years ago, is a handy checklist and will give a good overview of the books.

To summarise...
There were 9 black and white books 1930 to 1941, which were: Tintin in the Land of the Soviets; Tintin in the Congo; Tintin in America; Cigars of the Pharaoh; The Blue Lotus; The Broken Ear; The Black Island; King Ottokar's Sceptre and The Crab with the Golden Claws. All of these books, apart from Land of the Soviets, were later released in a colour version. Some were redrawn completely, others partially, and some were simply re-jigged and coloured.

Land of Black Gold was first serialised in black and white in Le petit Vingtième, but the story wasn't completed due to the closure of the parent newspaper in 1940. There are two colour versions; the first complete version was serialised in colour in a modified form in Tintin magazine. Then it was slightly modified again for the colour book in 1950. Later, the British publishers Methuen wanted to release the book but thought that the British troops in the Mandate of Palestine might confuse readers, so Hergé redrew it. It was released in 1971 and is the colour version which is available now.

Similarly, The Black Island received two colour versions; the first a straightforward colouring of the black and white version, and the second a redrawn version.

Further to that, The Shooting Star, The Secret of the Unicorn, Red Rackham's Treasure and The Seven Crystal Balls were all originally serialised in black and white in Le Soir newspaper between 1941 and 1944. All the remaining stories were serialised first in Tintin magazine in colour and were later published in colour books.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!