Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

What made you first read a Tintin book?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

BlueBlisteringBarnacles
#11 · Posted: 15 Oct 2004 11:28
Well I'm 23 adn remember the booming "Herge's Adventures of Tintin" 5 minute cartoons (though they're much worse than I remember them).

I think the attraction to Tintin lies in him not actually being a superhero, but a normal person (despite the escapades and lucky escapes he has). A lot of people say the attaraction of Batman is that he has no special powers but is a normal man, Tintin is like this but more so.
Martine
#12 · Posted: 15 Oct 2004 19:57
I thought everyone here was older, but now I find a lot of us are a bit over 20 (I'm 22), which is about the right age to have started with the series, or at lest having watched it and remember it very vividly.
So it's no wonder we all got to Tintin somehow...
(I, too, started reading comics by reading my dad's Asterix, for instance)
skut
#13 · Posted: 21 Oct 2004 06:38
From the 1960s - 1980s, Tintin was serialized in an American publication called Children's Digest. It was like a kids version of Reader's Digest - articles and excerpts from all kinds of books, in magazine form. I got a subscription to it as a kid in 1980 or so (when I was just 11). I got hooked on Tintin that way; for some crazy reason, it never occurred to me to look for the books until a few years later! Back then, they sold for $3.95 each in Canada - so it took me two weeks to save up my allowance to afford one. I bought two per month until I had them all...
Jyrki21
#14 · Posted: 21 Oct 2004 16:09
Back then, they sold for $3.95 each in Canada - so it took me two weeks to save up my allowance to afford one. I bought two per month until I had them all...

And now they're something like $10 each... :)

Skut, where are you based?
thompson with a p as in psychology
#15 · Posted: 25 Oct 2004 13:26
I'm 12.
I first read The Cigars of the Pharaoh (still a favourite - I can't wait to read the original version) about 3 or 4 years ago.
I was staying at a friend's house; their father said I would love Tintin because I was so interested in drawing and showed me three Tintin books he said I should read - Cigars of the Pharaoh, The Blue Lotus and Red Sea Sharks.
I groaned inwardly.
"Tintin", I thought, sounded like some silly, kiddy-ish name.\
At that time I used to be interested in comic styles, like "The Beano" and "The Dandy"'sI loved reading them and carefully observed all the different artist's styles and the way storylines ran.'
I wasn't interested in much else, so I was amazed at how, after a couple of pages in what I thought at the time was rather a bland style, I was completely enthralled: with the seemingly crazy Professor Sarcophagus; the fiery Rastapopolus - still my favourite villain (I especially love the way Hergé makes such fun of him in Flight 714!); and the wonderful Thom(p)sons, who remain some of my favourite characters.
schnelle
#16 · Posted: 25 Oct 2004 16:19
So that means I am even older than skut!
My Grandmother gave me the Golden Press versions in the middle 1960s and read them to me.
Then my Dad brought back some of the UK editions from his travels to Europe - much better than the small "green and white".
Then I bought the rest in the 1970s in the UK, learned some French in high school & college, and bought the French editions that were not translated (Tintin en Amerique and Le Lotus Bleu) in the 1980s.
Salut!
tintin_fanatic
#17 · Posted: 26 Oct 2004 12:41
I learnt about the Tintin series through a friend who recommended it to me when I was about 9 years old. I remember enjoying reading the series but had trouble comprehending the plot. I decided to reread it at the age of 12 and bought the series straight after.

The Tintin books are nearly $AUS18 each :|
10000_thundering_typhoons
#18 · Posted: 30 Oct 2004 20:00
I am probably one of the oldest ones around here. I first got my hands on a Tintin comic when I was 7, back in India. It was "The crab with the golden claws". At that time, I didnt understand it that much but I liked the pictures and above all - Snowy. A few years later, I received the same title as a birthday gift. This time I was able to comprehend most of it and was completely hooked. I joined a "circulating" library and followed Tintin on all his adventures. I have never owned any Tintin except for one but every now and then I keep getting a whole stack of them from the local library wherever I go.
redrackham
#19 · Posted: 31 Oct 2004 18:07
I'm 14. The first Tintin book I got was "Red Rackham's Treasure" as a gift from my aunt at the age of four. I wasn't initially wowed by it, in fact, I was bored, a fact that I am ashamed of now) until I was digging through my closet about a year later, looking for something to do. When I found the book, I was completely mesmerized, and soon thereafter I collected as much of the series as I could. I just got "l'Alph-Art" recently, which completes my collection. As I reread the books now, each time I go through one, I pick up notice some subtle joke or self portrait that I'd never seen before. These little surprises are why I love Tintin so much.
John Sewell
#20 · Posted: 1 Nov 2004 13:26
Well I'm 23 adn remember the booming "Herge's Adventures of Tintin" 5 minute cartoons (though they're much worse than I remember them).

I think that seeing the Belvision Secret Of The Unicorn on daytime childrens' TV during a mid-1970s Summer Holiday must have been my first sighting of Tintin! I'm 36 now so exact memories are a bit vague, but I remember the ships and cannons from the title sequence, as well as the infamous voiceover - it all seemed terribly exciting, but each installment was, frustratingly, over almost as soon as it had got going!

The first of the actual albums I read would have been a couple of years later, when I was ill with chicken pox. To cheer me up, my dad brought home a pile of comics and books, and Cigars Of The Pharaoh was amongst them. Great stuff, and I never looked back! I think it's fantastic that, even after all this time, I'm still finding new facts and snippets out about Tintin and his creator.

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!