Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

What made you first read a Tintin book?

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

MoonRocket
#21 · Posted: 16 Nov 2004 23:38
Hi! (First post here...)

I first read a Tintin book when I was four or five (I am 16 now) -- it was a battered old copy of "Explorers on the Moon", which has different dialogue than the modern copies. Soon my father was reading to me "Tintin in America" -- it has become one of my favorites for old time's sake. The books were a sensation at my elementary school. My friends and I would only check Tintin books out; no novels.

I didn't see the TV series until 1994... I thought it was pretty cool.

-Marjorie
brad
#22 · Posted: 18 Nov 2004 10:23
My first book was Black Island. This was in 1974. My brother introduced me to it. In those days they advertised just 6 books, others being Red Sea Sharks, Ottokers, Golden Claws, Tibet and Shooting Star. I bought them all in paperback, new at 35 pence each. I do recall for later adventures that the prices doubled to 70 pence!

I can vaguely recall the odd 5 minute Tintin TV slot (Crab with the Golden Claws rings a bell), though I wasn't really in to it - I found the accents really strange.

--
Moderator note: please avoid sending multiple posts in a row-- edit your post instead. Posts (which have not been edited by a staff member) can be edited up to 48 hours after first posting. To edit a post, simply click on the word 'Edit' at the top of the post.
duke
#23 · Posted: 27 Nov 2004 09:37
My first post here! Khodadad/Duke has entered!

I don't remember! My childhood is full of Tintins. I remember not being able to read and just looking at pictures and trying to guess the conversations. I must have been 4 (learnt to read at 5, so it should have been before that).

My older sistem had some of the titles, so I guess that was my first introduction to them!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#24 · Posted: 27 Nov 2004 19:13
My first introduction to Tintin was through the Ellipse-Nelvana series when it was first screened in the UK. I think the first episode I ever saw was "Explorers on the Moon", and was instantly hooked. I got a couple of videos ("Cigars of the Pharaoh" and "The Crab with the Golden Claws") when they came out, and I found the books themselves in my local library.

I fondly remember reading "Red Rackham's Treasure" whilst waiting in the car for my mum once, and reading "King Ottokar's Sceptre" at my grandparents' in front of the fire. I watched the series on TV every time it was on (guessing which episode it would be throughout the title sequence, as the announcer never said, nor did the TV guide), and recording them all. I got some of the books for one Christmas. I saw about half of the stories on TV first, and read the rest ("The Blue Lotus" was rarely on TV). A few years later, I got "Tintin and the World of Hergé", and was fascinated to learn of the existence of Soviets, Congo and Alph-Art - I very clearly remember wondering over what Soviets would be like, looking at the picture in "World of Hergé".

Ahh, memories !
OJG
#25 · Posted: 27 Nov 2004 20:02
I watched the series on TV every time it was on (guessing which episode it would be throughout the title sequence

Me too. I loved trying to guess which one it would be. Wasn't much fun when it was the second part of one though, was it?!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#26 · Posted: 27 Nov 2004 21:37
Wasn't much fun when it was the second part of one though, was it?!

No, it wasn't ! Channel 4 never seemed to broadcast them in any sort of logical order, though, meaning bizarrely I didn't see "Destination Moon" until two or three years after I saw "Explorers on the Moon". It's a shame it's not on TV at the moment - I used to love watching it in the mornings. Maybe five will bring it back soon ? We can live in hope !
snafu
#27 · Posted: 27 Feb 2005 22:22
I first found "Red Rackham's Treasure" and "The Red Sea Sharks" at Barnes and Noble's in New York City when I was 7. I was attracted to their excellent drawings.
alcazar
#28 · Posted: 22 Mar 2005 10:15
On a visit to France during the summer of 1999, Total garages were doing 4 Tintin books, softback, for FF10 each (about £1 then), if you filled up with fuel. You could get one each time you filled up.

My wife got me one on a whim, as I read French. I now have every book in French, and each has the place, and date bought inscribed inside the front cover. I took me 4 years to finish my collection!

The others not offered by Total came from places as far removed as hypermarkets and the left bank of the Seine in Paris.

Alcazar
Peveus
#29 · Posted: 22 Mar 2005 11:44
Way back when the 1992-ish series was first screening here, my sister and I watched it and then I found out there were books and got them out from the library aaaaaaaall the time. I'd read them all at least once but unfortunately my library only had a few of them. Then the series stopped rerunning each year and I eventually stopped reading the books... Now just two weeks ago I bought all the 3-in-1s and Alph-Art, I'm getting In the land of the Soviets and The Complete Companion tomorrow and I have In the Congo on order (but I can't get it until the reprint in November which suuuuuucks).
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#30 · Posted: 22 Mar 2005 20:15
I also discovered Tintin, like Richard, through the Channel 4 screenings in the early 1990s, and although I have no idea which episode was my first, I definitely remember that The Seven Crystal Balls was one of the first I saw (I was really frightened of Rascar Capac, but hooked anyway !)

I didn't discover the books until a while after, and enjoyed them immensly, my first one, being oddly, The Blue Lotus, but I really enjoyed it, anyway. I think Explorers On The Moon was my second book (I didn't know that Destination Moon came first in the series, and read Explorers without realising there was a part-one !)

I'm feeling nostalgic ...

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!