Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin's Skills: What is he good at?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

number1fan
#11 · Posted: 4 Apr 2014 13:36
He seems a good chess player he seems to be beating The Captain with ease in Tintin in Tibet.
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 4 Apr 2014 18:18
number1fan:
He seems a good chess player he seems to be beating The Captain with ease in Tintin in Tibet.

I don't know, he was dozing off to sleep and the Captain was about to put him in check before the game ended abruptly. It looks a bit hard to fathom who was winning that one since we only see the board from the side. It should be possible to work out from the side view and the dialogue though.

Tintin has two games with Alcazar in The Broken Ear, losing the first and winning the second. Funny, it's hard to tell whether Alcazar lost that game on purpose just so he could have fun firing his gun at his opponent. He does say "my gun's always loaded with blanks" and he'd done it before, so he was always prepared to lose, naturally. Clearly a bad loser, but thankfully for Tintin not too bad!
jock123
#13 · Posted: 4 Apr 2014 18:52
Harrock n roll:
It should be possible to work out from the side view and the dialogue though.

There's a thread about doing just that here, in which I pitted my inconsiderable* chess skills against what was going on, and decided that Tintin may indeed have been ahead of the Captain (but not in any way conclusively).

* and by "inconsiderable" I mean too few to be considered... ;-)
Harrock n roll
#14 · Posted: 5 Apr 2014 00:19
jock123:
There's a thread about doing just that here, in which I pitted my inconsiderable chess skills against what was going on, and decided that Tintin may indeed have been ahead of the Captain (but not in any way conclusively).

Ah, good work! I've just countered your assessment in the other thread...

Tintin in Tibet: Haddock vs. Tintin chess match

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!