Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Review: "The Metamorphoses of Tintin" by Jean-Marie Apostolides

creativejournalist
#1 · Posted: 24 Oct 2015 11:50
Hi fellow Tintinologists!

I apologize for my inactivity, as work had become immensely challenging day after day.

I would just like to inquire if anyone knows a book called The Metamorphoses of Tintin or Tintin for Adults, by Jean-Marie Apostolides.
If anyone has read or, by any chance, looked over it, I would like to know what your thoughts are about this study.

So far, I have read the chapter on the author's criticism of Prisoners of the Sun, which happens to be one of my favourite episodes of the series, next to the Moon books, The Crab with the Golden Claws and Tintin in Tibet.
I have mixed reactions towards it: his criticism did make a lot of sense, but somehow I see it in a contrary-type of way.
Being a reader and fan of the series, I am just as fascinated as I am, at the same time, confused as to what to think.

What are your reviews on this one, everyone? :)
advnarayan
#2 · Posted: 24 Oct 2015 12:48
I've read this book and reviewed it for Rebecca's Reads e-zine. Here is my review:

Tintin, the Boy Reporter is a character who needs no introduction.
The intrepid young journalist has endeared himself to the masses and later this year we can see the first of a trilogy of films based on him to hit the screens, directed by Steven Spielberg.
Tintin has a fan following of children between the age 8 and 88, and his popularity has transcended boundaries.
Being an aficionado and proud owner of all the Tintin comic albums - or, as we call ourselves, a Tintinologist - Tintin has been a steady diet since my childhood.
I read them, enjoyed the art and was captivated by the plot and stories. But for me these were simply comic.
But after reading this book, The Metamorphoses of Tintin: or Tintin for Adults, by Tintin scholar Jean-Marie Apostolides, I now realize that there is another realm to Tintin and the stories.
It's a reflection of the social milieu that existed in Europe in post World War days. It is a reflection of the tenacity and never-say-die attitude of the common man.
In short, Tintin is a reflection of the inner hero within every common man. Was Hergé, the creator of Tintin, even aware or realize the magnitude his character would create globally? I am not sure.
There have been Tintin studies prior to this: the most prominent being The World of Tintin by Benoît Peeters and Tintin: The Complete Companion by Michael Farr.
However both these books just examined Tintin from a comic-album point-of-view.
M. Apostolides goes one step further, and examines the subtle intricacies of the character created by Hergé and the impact made by it.
After reading this book I find new respect for Hergé and Tintin. A book to have with you while reading Tintin - not as a companion, but as a source of subtle, critical analysis.
Highly and heavily recommended for each Tintinologist.
creativejournalist
#3 · Posted: 25 Oct 2015 04:02
Hi!

Thank you very much for sharing your view on the book, advnarayan. I very much appreciate it. :)

While reading your view, your view has opened my eyes to, possibly, another book that I will look for. As a fellow fan of this young reporter, who was and still is my childhood hero, I would do anything to deepen my knowledge of him and Hergé.

You mentioned Tintin: The Complete Companion, and I can say that that was a pleasure to read, and I would really recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

But when I discovered that a book like The Metamorphoses was published, it piqued my curiosity indeed. I think my slight disappointment for it might have come from the comic side of me, being a reader who is only exposed to the comic side of Tintin's story.

So I think it's high time to read The Metamorphoses.

Again thank you so much! :)
advnarayan
#4 · Posted: 26 Oct 2015 02:25
Thank you so much for the kind words about my review, creativejournalist.
This is a good book which offers more insight, opens a new dimension, shows a different shade of Tintin and of Hergé.
number1fan
#5 · Posted: 21 Jan 2018 18:39
The Metamorphoses of Tintin has to be one of the best books I've read on Tintin.

Its all in here the intrestng anaologies about the stories for example The Author explains how Prisoners of the Sun is a reverse of the story and a clash of civilsations.Europeans go to South America and take objects,Incas then come to Europe to claim back their ideals,Europeans go back to South America with their ideals.

The book even devles into the latent homosexuality undertones of Tintin & Captain Haddock which is explained very intelligently.

Also very well explained are the relationships between the characters.

This is absoulte essential reading for die hard Tintinologists .
tintiNZ
#6 · Posted: 2 Feb 2018 06:16
Personally, I found the book to be little more than pseudo-intellectual rubbish.
The author has found more in the Tintin books than is there. Just as John Lennon said about Beatles lyrics - some people read too much into them.

number1fan:
The book even delves into the latent homosexuality undertones of Tintin & Captain Haddock

Absolute rubbish!! We should not forget the times the books were written in. Maybe in another generation people will be horrified at Snowy being without a leash in public.

I know the book is translated from French, but it is hard to read also.
It astonishes me the price that is asked for a copy of it on the internet.
number1fan
#7 · Posted: 3 Feb 2018 09:34
tintiNZ:
number1fan:
The book even delves into the latent homosexuality undertones of Tintin & Captain Haddock

Absolute rubbish!! We should not forget the times the books were written in. Maybe in another generation people will be horrified at Snowy being without a leash in public.

Rubbish perhaps. However it's interesting seeing these things from a different perspective.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!