Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Snowy: How old is he?

RicardoOlcese
#1 · Posted: 8 Feb 2019 02:23
If Snowy, the same dog, existed between the early Soviet era, until the late 1970s, he must have lived at least 40 years. Well, now that I think of it, Tintin never ages either. So, well... never mind.
Furienna
#2 · Posted: 8 Feb 2019 02:41
Yeah... I guess that we can assume that none of the characters age more than a few years between "Soviet" and "Picaros". Of course, a dog will grow old faster than a human. But still...
snowybella
#3 · Posted: 8 Feb 2019 06:42
I suppose that, given his agility, Snowy is around one to six years old, about the equivalent of a late teenager to an adult.

In the black-and-white editions of Soviets and Congo, he's like a quite vain teenager, obsessed with how they look. From America - Island, he seems to have grown a few human-years older, but his nose is in good condition, his character is starting to show, and he's running at a good pace.

From Sceptre, his lust for food (and alchohol), as well as a great appetite, has begun - bad news for poor old Tintin! He's agile as ever as well, so by then, I would say he's a strong, plucky two-year-old. From Crab up to Crystal, he is mostly the same.

From Prisoners to Explorers, I think he's a good three-and-three-quarters-year-old. He's getting more cynical, independent ("Who do you think I am - granny's little lap-dog?" from Explorers) and is more mature.

Between Calculus to Tibet, he's more willing to make friends, more loyal, and is about as mature as he can get. I would conclude he's four, by now, and the last time he starts searching for food is when he finds the bones in the Migou's ice-cave in Tibet.

Castafiore to 714 has only slight differences in his character, but I think he's only just reached his fifth birthday.

Flash forward to the more modern Picaros and Alph-Art, and there's something that tells me that not only has Tintin grown, Snowy's gained another year as well, but thanks to a good diet and plenty of hiking, he's still as alert as he was six years ago.

I speak as an owner of a mischievous 3-year-old Norfolk Terrier!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!