Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Bianca Castafiore: "The Jewel Song" from "Faust"

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

varun0883
#11 · Posted: 14 Jun 2005 07:53
Where can I download complete Jewel Song from Faust, and also get info about Faust?
jock123
#12 · Posted: 14 Jun 2005 10:31
varun0883
Where can I download complete Jewel Song from Faust

Pay attention there, old chap! Read the complete thread and you will find (just this once!) a link to a downloadable, public domain, file of the Jewel Song.

If you are asking where can you download the entire opera, then I am afraid we cannot help you here. As you no doubt are aware from reading the guides, we don't facilitate the pirating of material, and such requests are against the policy of the site.

As to where to get information, why not try a Google search?
varun0883
#13 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 12:02
Pay attention there, old chap! Read the complete thread and you will find (just this once!) a link to a downloadable, public domain, file of the Jewel Song.

Hi Jock, I guess the link you mentioned is working, but I am afraid only one song is available.

I wanted to know entire details of Faust.
I am afraid and surprised even Tintinologist doesn't have any information about this famous album by our "Dear old Milanese Nightingale" (as CAptain Haddock calls her in The Castafiore Emerald...
Using Goolgle search I ended up in another website which does not even mention of our dear Bianca Castafiore!

By the way, if I go by the keywords tintin faust it is also not working.
only Tintinologist.org can solve my problem!

"Shhhh! - Mum's the word I say!"
marsbar
#14 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 12:24
Here you go, varun0883: Wikipedia's entry on the opera, Faust.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#15 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 12:27
I'm not sure whether you're aware of this, but 'Faust' is a real opera, adapted by Charles Gounod from the legend. Our Castafiore simply produced a recording of it. There's some information on the opera here, with a breakdown of the acts, and even a reference to the opera, more specifically the Jewel Song aria, in the adventures of Tintin.

Hope that's of some help !

Edit : Now that is spooky, marsbar, we both linked to the same site !
jock123
#16 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 12:34
varun0883
I am afraid only one song is available.

Yes - please read the thread, and my earlier reply to you: Tintinologist.org is not a music download site, nor can it supply pirate material - if you want to hear the whole opera, you are going to have to buy it, or at least find a public library with a copy.

The one track available here is public domain, and freely available, and also the only song which we can be sure that Castafiore ever sang from Faust. There is therefore no reason for us to offer anything else.

As to the rest of your reply, I can't understand what it is you want - what do you need to know about Faust, that you can't find through Google? I put in "opera' and "faust" and got 645,000 results; if I change that to "gounod" (the composer) and "faust" it pares it down to 115,000.

Perhaps if you asked a few more direct questions, people would be able to help you. What do you expect to find out about Castafiore, for instance?

Note: All three of us within minutes! What are the chances of that!?
Martin
#17 · Posted: 22 Jun 2006 07:04
This is only tangentially relevant, but a favourite joke of mine involves a French statesman on a visit to Germany, and seeing a statue of Goethe.
"And who is this gentleman?" he asks his host.
"Ah, this is our greatest writer, Goethe."
"Never heard of him."
"Never? But surely! He is one of the greatest writers who ever lived! He wrote Faust!"
"Faust? Ah, I see now. But in my country, it is pronounced Gounod."
Blaise
#18 · Posted: 17 Jul 2006 03:33
Thanks for the link; I enjoyed listening.
waveofplague
#19 · Posted: 15 Apr 2007 05:26
I enjoyed hearing this too. I've heard it about three times now.

I wonder how Hergé decided on this song as Castafiore's "one trick pony" as someone mentioned earlier.

I also find the English translation of the song used in the Tintin books a little odd. "Ah! My beauty, past compare! These jewels bright I wear!"

I wonder if the translator duo were the first to translate The Jewel Song into English?

"Ah! Je ris de me voir! Si belle dans ce mirroir!" Was I ever Margaritaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Come, reply...

It's interesting to read the article on it on Wikipedia. It gives you more context vis-a-vis Castafiore possibly being an incarnation of Marguerite. They are both mad about their jewels, at the very least.

Maybe I am being over-analytical, but why isn't Castafiore singing this song in its original French?? Even when she sings for her friends, it's in English. I don't know a heck of a lot about opera at all, but who sings in English at all?? Nobody! (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my perception.) Why does she sing in English? Why bother translating that bit at all?

... And another thing. I notice that there's a character in the play named Wagner. Castafiore's accompanist is Wagner. Coincidence?? I think not!

I seem to recall Castafiore saying "I had my greatest success with Gounod." Well, of course! He did write Faust (the opera).

This post goes on forever: If you've seen the Wikipedia page on Faust, it mentions how the Tintin comics popularized the song and the opera. Interesting. I would probably never have known of the song if not for Tintin.
Ranko
#20 · Posted: 15 Apr 2007 14:43
Yep, this thread is so old I got a surprise when I saw I started it!. It's nice to revisit these things from time to time.

waveofplague
Maybe I am being over-analytical. But why isn't Castafiore singing this song in its original French?? Even when she sings for her friends, it's in English. I don't know a heck of a lot about opera at all BUT who sings in English at all?? Nobody! (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my perception.)

A good point and one I've never thought about. I'm like you in so much as I know very little about opera so I'm not sure if this is correct or not.
Were LLC and MT just making things a little easier for us?

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!