Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: News and general discussion

Page  Page 60 of 65:  « Previous  1  ...  59  60  61  ...  65  Next » 

Rianna Lauren
#591 · Posted: 5 Oct 2011 17:14
A new trailer for the movie came out today! (Posting it here too in case you're avoiding the spoilery speculation thread.)
fixer79
#592 · Posted: 5 Oct 2011 19:04
Yeah, I just saw it too... Looking really really good! :D

Also, we got a closer look at the 'Commando'(1985) reference... If you can spot it you win a goldfish! :)

Seriously though, there's still no sight of Calculus. I'm afraid Spielberg was telling the truth when he said he's been ommited...
It's gonna be so weird not to have him in the movie... It'll be like... a Harry Potter without Hagrid. :(
Ladybird
#593 · Posted: 6 Oct 2011 04:21
I know I'm disappointed too. My guess is that they'll end the first movie with the ending of The Secret of the Unicorn, kind of a cliffhanger. Then the professor will show up in the second movie. I'm not saying I like it but I think that might be their logic.
BlackIsland
#594 · Posted: 7 Oct 2011 02:51
Calculus is not in it? What a joke. I sure hope that is not true. This movie almost has nothing to do with the books from what I can see. I think we need to put up a facebook page if it does not live up to expectations.
BlackIsland
#595 · Posted: 7 Oct 2011 02:52
mct16:
Maybe, maybe not, but the more extracts I see of this film the more I wonder: why make a "Tintin" film at all if you're just going to make it a whole new story?

THIS
adesh
#596 · Posted: 9 Oct 2011 13:37
I don't understand the whining and crying everyone's doing on uncanny valley or changes made to the books.

If the changes are for good/fun and in the spirit of the books and they kept the basic elements of the characters and environments, then why not?!! People love Lord of the Rings because of these minor changes, if you you had an exact book translation, we would still be on part 1 and singing all those songs from the books and getting bored.

On one side people complain on lack of originality and on other complain of it too? If they wanted to make a page by page translation, then why make at all? Read the books and watch the 90's cartoon (which also took liberties).

Hergé was himself in favor of changes because the movies will offer something new and exciting: http://www.lefigaro.fr/cinema/2011/10/08/03002-20111008ARTFIG00004-et- spielberg-recrea-tintin.php
All we have seen in the trailer is not something that could not have happened in the books including hanging from the cable.
BlackIsland
#597 · Posted: 10 Oct 2011 14:04
BlackIsland
#598 · Posted: 10 Oct 2011 14:12
adesh:
I don't understand the whining and crying everyone's doing on uncanny valley or changes made to the books.

I will tell you the reason, it has to do with pacing and the sequences of the books. Herge became and expert in capturing things at the right time, right frame, and illustrated all of it in the right way. Remember the 90’s cartoon was way off as you have mentioned. Even the Temple of the Sun cartoon was convoluted. If Herge was still around you’d have to pay him a lot to make the changes to his stories to fit the screen. If you have read anything you will also know that he was particular about his work. What this movie has done so far that I can see, has made a mess of the books. You have scenes from three books in here?? It does not mean it won’t be good , but will piss off the hard core fans in the way the X-Men films did for that stronghold of fans.
jock123
#599 · Posted: 10 Oct 2011 18:02
BlackIsland:
it has to do with pacing and the sequences of the books.

But the pacing on the page, and the pacing on screen have to be different: Hergé recognized this, and deemed Spielberg the only man he thought suitable to the task. You think that Hergé was wrong in this?

BlackIsland:
Herge became and expert in capturing things at the right time, right frame, and illustrated all of it in the right way.

And Spielberg has experience with the cinematic equivalents…

BlackIsland:
Remember the 90’s cartoon was way off as you have mentioned. Even the Temple of the Sun cartoon was convoluted.

I’ve always thought the Ellipse-Nelvana series was pretty spot on, withing the constraints of a TV animation budget and the need to stay within broadcasting standards; the Prisoners cinema film is indeed convoluted, but as we have seen from discussions here (such as this one), the album’s plot doesn’t stand up to rigorous dissection when you look at it.

BlackIsland:
If Herge was still around you’d have to pay him a lot to make the changes to his stories to fit the screen.

When Hergé was alive, he doesn’t seem to have wanted to be involved in adapting his characters, either in adaptations or new stories, so I have no reason to think that this would have changed.

BlackIsland:
If you have read anything you will also know that he was particular about his work. What this movie has done so far that I can see, has made a mess of the books.

But again no more or less so than the adaptations which took place in his life time; there also is little to say that they have made a mess of anything as yet; we should always be prepared to accept that someone could do something well, without it being to our taste (the latest series of Doctor Who is a case in point for me: I found it to be truly awful, and thought Neil Gaiman’s episode the worst that I had seen in forty-something years of watching the series; however, the viewing figures and audience appreciation indices (the gauge of how much a programme was enjoyed) show that I am probably in a minority, and that the makers must be catering to an appreciative audience).

BlackIsland:
You have scenes from three books in here?? It does not mean it won’t be good , but will piss off the hard core fans in the way the X-Men films did for that stronghold of fans.

Again, I’d place myself somewhere near the hardcore end of the spectrum, and I have no difficulty in maintaining a positive attitude towards the project (leastways until I actually see the thing, and not a sequence of shots edited together out of sequence and context). I liked the X-Men comics, from the days when Beast wasn’t blue and hairy until the Eighties when I left home and stopped reading my brother’s comics, and whilst the first one was a bit draggy, the series got into it’s stride, and I’ve liked the others (even Wolverine). I loved the Iron Man movie, and thought that that both updated the material, and remained very faithful to the spirit of that series. Was it a blow-for-blow, rivet-for-rivet recreation of the comics? No. Did I shed a tear? Not a one. It wove the elements of several different takes in the comics together successfully. Will people have complained? I’m sure they did: but they still have the comics, if they don’t like what’s on screen, just like I can watch episodes of Doctor Who from the series I liked on DVD.
skut
#600 · Posted: 11 Oct 2011 03:30
I've been thinking it over, and I don't think I'm going to see the Tintin movie.

When I saw the first and second trailers, I was genuinely excited. I could see that they were taking some liberties with the stories, but that was OK. I realize that this is a movie based on the Tintin books and not a faithful adaptation.

However, the latest trailer really made me roll my eyes. It makes the movie start to look more like a video game and less of a reasonably exciting big screen version of Tintin. (Haddock with a rocket launcher?!) I think the Tintin adventures are action-packed enough without having to make them ultra-super-action-packed to appeal to kids with ADD. A little of that goes a long way, and - judging from the trailers - they've gone too far.

George Lucas ruined Star Wars and, together with Spielberg, ruined Indiana Jones. I think if I stay away from this Tintin movie, I hope to avoid having yet another fond childhood memory spoiled.

Page  Page 60 of 65:  « Previous  1  ...  59  60  61  ...  65  Next » 

This topic is closed.