Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Belvision: Are the cartoons available?

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Big Ren
#1 · Posted: 4 Oct 2004 11:32
The Belvision animations were released in English in the eighties on PAL VHS, but sadly the five-minute cliffhanger episodes were edited together in each story. Much better are copies taped from TV when they used to show the individual episodes with the booming 'Is this the end for Tintin?' voiceover at the end of each one! I hope they get re-released on DVD in that way.
Jyrki21
#2 · Posted: 5 Oct 2004 05:42
I have a copy of The Shooting Star on VHS...

It's very true to the original, needless to say. Like when Professor Phostle-- oh wait, he's not even in it. OK, like when the "Peary" captain chases Tintin onto the meteorite with a gun, just like-- oh wait, that never happened in the book, did it?... ;)
jock123
#3 · Posted: 5 Oct 2004 23:24
While I can sympathise with the sentiment expressed for the five-minute segments versions of the Belvision cartoons (the “Herrrrrrrrrrrrgé’s Adventures of Tinnnn-n-nn-ntinnnnn–n—n—n!!!!” being worth the price of admission on its own!), they would in reality make for pretty repetitive viewing on video.

Each episode may be five minutes long, but (barring fractions for the titles etc.) they contained three minutes of re-cap to only two minutes of new adventure; that means that at least one minute of the re-cap is from the episode before last.

The completist in me would like to think the episodes were available; the practical person thinks that the edited versions at least keep the story going forward. Perhaps a DVD edition with the option of watching episodic- or feature-version edits of the stories is the answer.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 6 Oct 2004 09:16
I still remember the Belvision ones with Nostalgia and really enjoyed them when i was younger, never missing an episode of The Black Island.

It was before I read many of the books because i was still young, but the Tintin going over a cliff cliffhanger (HAHA) episode, I still remember vividly thinking it was the end of Tintin

Rik

PS. And the “Herrrrrrrrrrrrgé’s Adventures of Tinnnn-n-nn-ntinnnnn–n—n—n!!!!” is still a great introduction
ottokar1
#5 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 13:27
Any updates on the Belvision cartoons being released??
jockosjungle
#6 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 16:44
No updates as such...

However in Australia they released Tintin and the Lake of Sharks and it was billed as volume 1, meaning future volumes may be forthcoming.

Since Australia already has the Ellipse-Nelvana series then future releases will either be Belvision or the live actions if they ever make further volumes.

Speaking of the Belvision releases I just picked up the Black Island off ebay and it arrived today! Going to sit and watch it and relive some classic memories from my youth

Rik
number1fan
#7 · Posted: 3 Jul 2005 16:16
maybe if we aLL e-mailed bellevsion requesting them on dvd they may look into it
Richard
UK Correspondent
#8 · Posted: 3 Jul 2005 17:12
I'm not sure whether Belvision still owns the rights ; in fact, I'm not entirely sure whether they still exist as a working production company. The documentary Belvision : « la mine d'or au bout du couloir… » chronicles the history of the company and talks about it devoting its time to producing adverts and scientific diagrams for educational programmes, after its time as a producer of feature films.

There's a review of the film here by our very own Chris Owens. The offices still exist, but I'm not sure whether they own the rights.
Muller
#9 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 01:16
The Belvision series has been released on DVD in my country, I live in Iceland, it was released my an Icelandic Video/DVD cop. needless to say. They also released Lake of Sharks and Prisoners of the sun. Actually prisoners of the sun was split in two DVDs, Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the sun, each DVD about 40 minutes. The releases are: Secret of the Unicorn, Red Rachan's Treasure, Crab with the Golden Claws, Shooting Star, Black Island, Objective Moon, Calculus Affair (not called The calculus Case) The seven crystal Balls, Prisoners of The Sun, The Lake of Sharks.
jockosjungle
#10 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 06:22
Any further information Muller? Is it still available? Did they have an English soundtrack?

Rik

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!