Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

"Unicorn" movie: Your reviews, having seen it. [Warning: Spoilers!]

Page  Page 11 of 15:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next » 

Jelsemium
#101 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 21:30
I liked how they spliced the the three books together to give what was basically a new story but (paradoxically) without changing anything significant from the books.

Specifically: The kidnapping scene from Secret of the Unicorn with the captivity scene from Crab with the Golden Claws.

Having Haddock tell the story of the Unicorn to the soldiers at the Afghar outpost. I thought it was more dramatic with a bigger audience.

I also loved some of the new stuff that Spielberg slipped in, like when Tintin was swimming underwater, his quiff stuck out like a shark's fin. (Yes, Steven, we remember Jaws!)

Edited to add: Another part that worked for me was removing a coincidence. Specifically, changing the part where Tintin finds a model ship that just happened to be connected to his friend to Tintin and Haddock being brought together because Tintin had found the model of the Unicorn.

I think the movie was a lot of fun and I bet it makes a lot of fans out of people who hadn't been interested in Tintin before!
Beatles123
#102 · Posted: 15 Jan 2012 16:22
Tintinrulz:
Hergé wrote what in the advertisement?

I was stating the fact that they did not mention anything about Hergé writing the books in the advertisement for the movie.
rose_of_pollux
#103 · Posted: 15 Jan 2012 17:28
Beatles123:
I was stating the fact that they did not mention anything about Hergé writing the books in the advertisement for the movie.

Actually, all of the ads I've seen have "Based on the books by Hergé" in there somewhere...
glendale
#104 · Posted: 15 Jan 2012 23:27
We all ask so many questions about this wonderful movie as to what was behind the decisions made and why, so I have acquired a book called The Art of the Adventures of Tintin by (author) Weta Workshop.

An incredible visual insight into one of the most eagerly anticipated films of 2011 that was 5 years in the making.
This describes how the film was created and what was behind all aspects of it, the research, the people, the artwork that was created a specially for it.
It also includes wording from Spielberg and Jackson, plus many involved in the Weta Workshop.
This has helped in understanding what Spielberg was trying to create and it answers many questions that have been asked on this site.
I have no personal gain in this but only to share.
rose_of_pollux
#105 · Posted: 15 Jan 2012 23:37
glendale:
a book called "The Art of the Adventures of Tin tin By (author) Weta Workshop"

Ooh, I was looking at the previews of that on Amazon! It looks absolutely incredible.

That was one of the things that impressed me about the movie overall--the spectacular animation. It was very easy for me to forget at some points that this was an animated movie I was seeing. Everything looked so real!

(Also, following tonight's Golden Globes like a hawk, hoping our hero wins for Best Animated Feature! Whether you liked the movie or not, a win would definitely spike Tintin's popularity in the US--a good thing overall.)
AngelofLight
#106 · Posted: 16 Jan 2012 00:16
I thought they did quite well on making the movie. They managed to get in most of the important content, and the animation was fantastic. I was pleased that they had the original kidnapping from Secret of the Unicorn, as that is a favourite moment of mine. It's so unexpected...

They messed up in a couple of respects: Sakarine being the villain was...interesting at best. I didn't really like that idea, too cliche and obvious. I thought the whole movie in general was a little too Hollywood, Indiana Jones-ish. The action didn't really stop at all, so you never had time to kind of stop, rest and process what was going on. And I didn't approve of their Snowy.

However, they surprised me and probably did the series justice. I thought that a British Tintin was actually quite a good idea: before I did my research I always assumed he was English. Captain Haddock was pretty good, the Thom(p)sons great. The whole story was engaging and fun, and they rendered the characters very very well. I loved the opening sequence, and the Herge cameo was genius.

Overall... Maybe I'll be generous with an 8. Four stars. As a movie, they outdid themselves, but as Tintin I'm not sure. Good try, everyone. I couldn't have done better.
Tintinrulz
#107 · Posted: 16 Jan 2012 00:42
AngelofLight:
I didn't approve of their Snowy.

What didn't you enjoy about their Snowy?

I've read The Art of the Adventures of Tintin book and it has the film crew talking about their love of Herge's work and how they tried to honour it in the movie. In some cases they had things that were more true to Herge's original books but for some reason they weren't developed further.
glendale
#108 · Posted: 16 Jan 2012 02:27
How Brilliant is this???
The maestro Steven Spielberg appears to accept the Globe for The Adventures of Tintin, this year's Best Animated Feature Film
glendale
#109 · Posted: 16 Jan 2012 02:36
AngelofLight:
And I didn't approve of their Snowy.

If you look at the book you will see what was involved in the creation of Snowy !!!
rose_of_pollux
#110 · Posted: 16 Jan 2012 02:47
glendale:
The maestro Steven Spielberg appears to accept the Globe for The Adventures of Tintin, this year's Best Animated Feature Film

Can we have a big "Blistering Barnacles" victory cheer? ^O^ It completely deserved it, in my opinion!

Let's hope for a similar victory at the Academy Awards, too!

Page  Page 11 of 15:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!