Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: "Tintin in America" - General discussion

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

OJG
#21 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 20:38
I doubt it was done to add time. I mean, how much would it add? 5 seconds maybe?
rollo
#22 · Posted: 10 Mar 2005 16:59
I just got the DVD set of all of these, so for once I actually know what I'm talking about.

My first thought: these could all badly do with some restoration work. There are audible wobbles and dropouts in the theme; the title cards have an appalling amount of noise in the background; and throughout the stories there are similar things (dirt on prints; etc) - I'm astounded given how new these adaptations are.

My second point was that they probably did some of them as 1-parters so there were 39 episodes altogether (US TV markets love multiples of 12 or 13 for their series). Generally they're fairly well chosen, as some of the weaker (imo) stories are the 1-parters.

r.
OJG
#23 · Posted: 10 Mar 2005 19:05
rollo

What set do you have? Sounds like it could be a pirate edition?

I don't have this problem with my set and I haven't heard of anyone else having it either.
Tintinrulz
#24 · Posted: 10 Mar 2005 23:58
My set is perfectly fine, but there footage seems to have quite a few dust spots (like it did when it was on tv). You would think they would clean up the image! Anyone else have this problem?
rollo
#25 · Posted: 12 Mar 2005 15:18
The R2 10xDVD box set. And no, it's a proper release.

I guess I've become quite accustomed to very clean images of very old film (most of my DVDs are old black & white British TV or early films - 1960s Doctor Who; Metropolis; etc) so I have high expectations, but certainly the dirt is there and very visible.

From memory, the first pan shot after the title sequence in Tintin in America is probably the best illustration of this - it's not as grubby as the Nuremburg rally, but there's definitely dirt there. Also I was wondering if the bitrate was unnecessarily low, but I might have been imagining it.

Mind you, it's maybe not too surprising - a cleanup job would have been quite expensive (but then I imagine Disney are investing in their DVD releases).

But generally it's a good set, very watchable, and it's nice to have the French & Spanish soundtracks on there as well - I know what I'll be doing when I finish watching in English. (Probably going and getting a life...)

r.
Harrock n roll
#26 · Posted: 12 Mar 2005 16:45
I was trawling the Anchor Bay forums the other day for some info on “Tintin et Moi” (the only mention of it was by a certain Richard W.) and there was quite a lot of discussion surrounding the poor quality of the DVDs, so it's clearly an issue.

There are also some synching problems mentioned for one of the discs (a spokesperson mentions it was to do with the French translation but the French language track is also out of sync apparently.)

I don't have any to pass judgement on but I suppose it's possible that the problems such as dust spots are on the original film (assuming it is film).
OJG
#27 · Posted: 12 Mar 2005 22:25
I'd never noticed these. It certainly didn't taint my enjoyment, at least.
Peveus
#28 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 13:25
I'd completely forgotten till you guys mentioned it but yes, on TV, I definately remember the running on the spot... this is probably because, and this goes for "Oh no, here we go again!" Tintin in America is the final episode of the TV series instead of the first as it is on the DVD. It's just a nice way of saying that even though there are no more episodes, Tintin's adventures go on.

Furthering the missing running on the spot thing, the entire intro sequence on the DVD is different to the TV airing. My sister recalled Castafoire singing at one point and glass breaking which is absent from the DVD. The TV series came back on TV here recently and I watched the intro and behold she was right, the intro is COMPLETELY different and has many sound effects and a cool sequence where Tintin leaps off the bridge and falls past in front of the title.

I have no idea why these two changes occured, though I prefer the TV aired versions better :(
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#29 · Posted: 18 Mar 2005 19:59
Peveus :

My sister recalled Castafoire singing at one point and glass breaking which is absent from the DVD

The sequence you are referring to was used (to my knowledge) everywhere outside Europe. Within Europe, the sequence on your DVDs was used, both in English and other languages.
spq
#30 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 05:13
Hi there,

I can confirm that on the Australian 6 DVD release of Tintin, the "running on the spot" scene appears at the end of Tintin in America.

Sean.

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!