Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Golden Fleece & Blue Oranges: Dubbed into other languages?

JournalistCookie
#1 · Posted: 24 Jan 2021 18:17
I am hoping I'm not bringing up an old topic (I've checked and nobody seems to have talked about this) but did the live-action Tintin movies have dubs in languages, outside of French and maybe English (though I believe the English dub is quite rare)?

I've heard that there was an Arabic dub for The Blue Oranges but I can't seem to find anything outside of its original language.

Sorry if this seems sudden or if this is posted in the wrong section, I am new to forums altogether.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 24 Jan 2021 22:28
Welcome to the forums!

JournalistCookie:
did the live action Tintin movies had dubs in languages outside of French and maybe English

Oh, interesting! I don't think the subject has come up before (thanks for checking - much appreciated!), so it just goes to show there are always new areas to explore!

The English dub of Golden Fleece was "rare", in so far as it was lost and unavailable for decades, but was known to exist because it was broadcast on the BBC; fortunately, it was rescued from the BBC by the BFI (British Film Institute), who have restored it, shown it, and released it on disc, where it can be watched and enjoyed with ease.

The Blue Oranges has not been so lucky, and it can't be said with absolute certainty that an English dub ever existed, or that one survives if it did.

Anecdotal evidence suggests it was: there were screenings of it at various venues in the eighties in the U.K. as a children's film, and no mention as made of it being subtitled in advertising.

Likewise, I have a page for it from a film distributor's catalogue (year unknown), and that makes no mention in the text (which is entirely in English) of the movie being in French, or subtitled, which suggests that it too was dubbed.

However, even if that was the case, I know that before the release of the DVDs the BFI hunted for a copy of an English-language version without any luck, so there isn't a print readily available in English, because they will have been thorough.

It doesn't rule out its existence, however, and hopefully, if there is, it may be lying ignored but safe in a corner somewhere, much as Golden Fleece was, and will surface again.

As for other languages, I've seen Dutch-language DVDs of both films available (I don't have them), with dubs done for the release. Whether these were the first times that the films had been dubbed, or whether the new dub replaced older ones I don't know, but maybe someone out there does?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 25 Jan 2021 23:42
Both films saw cinema release in Denmark in dubbed form as stated on the contemporary posters; the theme song to Golden Fleece (retitled Tintin På Skattejagt (Tintin on a Treaure Hunt) was even re-recorded in Danish by Lise-Lotte Bentsen for a 45 rpm single.

Likewise, both films received a Spanish cinema release. There's no mention of spoken language anywhere on the posters, but to echo Simon's logic above, it seems likely as children's films they may well have been dubbed. Regardless, the two films have since been released on DVD (and Golden Fleece at least on VHS, Betamax and Blu-ray) with Spanish language audio tracks.
atan1403
#4 · Posted: 26 Jan 2021 18:00
As far as I know, the movies never were in German cinemas or on TV, but dubbed versions of both were made for release on DVD around 2011.
Arved1
#5 · Posted: 30 Jan 2021 20:30
Richard:
Both films saw cinema release in Denmark in dubbed form

Correct I saw "Blue Oranges" in a dubbed version in a cinema in Copenhagen in 1971!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!