Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Cigars of the Pharaoh: the 1942 French version

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

derdup
#1 · Posted: 12 Dec 2005 07:18
Hello everyone,

I’m interested in the history behind the 1942 version of Cigars of the Pharaoh.

Although I consider the cover-art of the final version to be a classic, I’d love to see a facsimile with the 1942 cover become available.

I browse through the French eBay listings (Livres/BD) from time to time and see all the wonderful Tintin items there. The 1942 Cigares du Pharaon appears for auction sometimes and attracts high bids. One sold yesterday for EUR 660.

Does anyone have any background information to share on this version?
Is it rare for reasons other than its age?

Also, on French eBay many of the Tintin books are listed with what appears to be a rating code of some sort. For example: B15, C3, B2 etc. I’m curious to know what these codes refer to. Does anyone know?

Cheers,
-Harry-
labrador road 26
#2 · Posted: 12 Dec 2005 15:01
Pardon me, but don't you mean the 1932 version. Did a search on Pharaoh and 1942 but didn't come up with a version issued that year.

If it is the facsimile of the 1932 black/white edition then it is already being produced by Casterman.
http://bd.casterman.com/isbn/2-203-01104-1/?r=castherg&s=casttinn&a=

Or the color version facsimile.
http://bd.casterman.com/isbn/2-203-01147-5/?r=castherg&s=casttinc&a=
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 12 Dec 2005 15:09
Hi Harry,

The codes you refer to (A16, A17, etc.) are means of identifying the back covers of Tintin books as used by the BD price guide BDM: Trésors de la Bande Dessiné. The guide itself has been published since 1979 (now up to its 15th edition, see here). Their coding system has become pretty much definitive, it's even used by Casterman in the book Tintin: Noir sur Blanc (which also contains a lot of useful information on the early black and white editions).

Prior to 1942 all of the black and white books (from Congo to Crabe) had the standard brown/mustard colour which a small picture for the cover. For their final print Hergé drew new full colour covers, most of which went onto the colour editions too, except Cigars and Ottokar which were both later redrawn. The Cigares cover you refer to shows Tintin peeking out from behind an Egyptian pillar and was only used for that 1942 edition. I suppose that partly explains why it's so sought after (although interestingly, it isn't actually as “rare” as the price tag suggests). The BDM values it at 4000 euros and says to add 150% for mint condition (one for wealthy Tintin fans!)

There's an interesting anecdote for the 1942 Cigares in Tintin: Noir sur Blanc; it says that Hergé regretted he chose the colour black for the title because the word “Du” had become illegible in front of the Egyptian pillar. (Funnily enough I never noticed until I read that, what a perfectionist he was eh?) Anyhow, it certainly would be nice to see a facsimile edition of this (and Ottokar), if only for the covers!

edit: For identification purposes the various editions of this book are shown on this informative site - if you click on Cigares the 1942 cover in question is the 4th image down. It also gives the BDM codes to the back covers (‘4ème plat’ in French). You would need a copy of BDM to know what exactly the differences are but it's normally something as tedious as a slightly different listing of the books available at the time...
derdup
#4 · Posted: 13 Dec 2005 23:47
Thanks to you both for your efforts.

The TINTIN PASSION website is quite something - I wish my skills at reading French were better ;)

-Harry-
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 3 Jan 2006 14:17
arkangel Was this an isolated amendment or were there extensive changes in the 1955 edition? And were any such changes carried out by Herge himself?

Just to clarify; the 1955 edition was an entire remake by Hergé - he probably felt the 1932 original too crude to transfer to colour. The plot is essentially the same but a couple of scenes were cut out to fit the new format.

I'm not sure when the Destination Moon cover first appeared in Cigars but it might have been partly because none of the adventures prior to Cigars (Soviets, Congo and America chronologially) were available at the time in some countries. Cigars didn't make the UK until 1971, America 1978, Soviets 1989 - Congo only arrived here last year!

It's just a theory but perhaps Hergé (or others) thought it would be confusing to UK and other readers to see the sheik holding a book which wasn't available yet - so, for better or worse, he chose Destination Moon.

The 1955 version doesn't look as if it's set in 1932 anyway (the cruise ship in the first frame for a start) so it becomes part of the messed up chronolgy of the Tintinverse!
derdup
#6 · Posted: 8 Feb 2006 21:29
I've been looking on the web for nice examples of the 1942 cover-art for PHARAONS. Not much out there.

There is however a copy for auction on ebay France right now. Link: URL

Scroll down the page and find some nice close-up scans.

(I figured this thread needed hauling back on topic;)

-Harry-

--
UPDATE
WELL! That was pretty exciting. I don't know if anyone else was keeping tabs on that auction, but there were some enthusiastic bidders and the book finaly sold for a whopping 2010EUR!

Great to see Tintin so highly valued.

-Harry-
derdup
#7 · Posted: 9 Jan 2010 23:54
Hi,
A heads-up for collectors:

Amazon UK now have 'Les Cigares Du Pharaon' B/W, featuring the (rare) 1942 cover art! This is a french version and published by Casterman.

A bit expensive perhaps at £17, but Amazon seems to be offering free delivery to all you lucky people living in the UK :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aventures-Tintin-cigares-pharaon/dp/2203026448 /ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263080229&sr=1-2

UPDATE QUESTION...
Amazon shows this edition as having 127 pages. I've just checked the Casterman website, and it says the album has 64 pages. I'm confused!

Can someone please confirm if this version (1942) is the 're-worked' Cigars, or the original version. Thanks.
derdup
#8 · Posted: 19 Jan 2010 23:33
'BUMP'

Does anyone have the answer to my question? (see previous post)

I want to know before I buy :)
luinivierge2010
#9 · Posted: 20 Jan 2010 00:00
You can proceed without concern - it is indeed the b & w version !
jock123
#10 · Posted: 20 Jan 2010 00:01
derdup:
Does anyone have the answer to my question?

Given that there hasn’t been a reply, I’d guess not… ;-)

As the 1942 edition was B&W and unrevised, it definitely should run to the longer length; however, if you are in doubt, why not send Casterman an e-mail, and see if it is a typo on their site?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!