Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: How is "Carreidas" pronounced?

Ranko
#1 · Posted: 1 Sep 2006 21:51
The millionaire who never laughs. The millionaire with an unpronouncable name more like.

This question has been bugging me for a very long time now. In fact ever since I first read Flight 714 – just how do you pronounce Carreidas?
As a kid I said carr-ee-eye-a-dis. Now years later it is more car-ee-das.
Is there is a consensus of opinion as to how it should sound?
I shouldn't let it annoy me but you know, the simplest things...!

Does he have the same name in other languages?

Cheers
Ranko
labrador road 26
#2 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 01:12
I would pronounce his name, carr-ey (as in hey)-das (as in does) but that's probably because that is the way they pronounce it on the Swedish record.
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 12:31
I say Kah-rey-duhs and you say Ker-ree-a-das, let's call the whole thing off... ;-)
Ranko
#4 · Posted: 2 Sep 2006 22:31
Thanks Harrock. That's the kind of perspective I needed...

He'll be Laszlo from now on. :-)

Ranko.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 3 Sep 2006 01:55
Since his surname is a pun on the French carré d'as ("four aces", as in a pack of cards) wouldn't it be pronounced the same - kah-ray-dass?
Harrock n roll
#6 · Posted: 4 Sep 2006 14:38
Richard wrote: Since his surname is a pun on the French carré d'as (four aces, as in a pack of cards) wouldn't it be pronounced the same - kah-ray-dass?

Interesting, I wasn't actually aware of this! After trawling the 'net I found out about a symbol on the tail-fin of the Carreidas 160 aircraft which shows the four suits from a deck of cards.

It's not very distinct in the Flight 714 book but here's a blow-up of some lettering taken from Roger Leloup's cutaway diagram of the jet.

So yes, I think it would be pronounced kar-reɪ-dæs - unless someone with a better grasp of French and phonetics knows better..?
yamilah
#7 · Posted: 4 Sep 2006 15:15
Harrock n roll
Richard wrote: Since his surname is a pun on the French carré d'as (four aces, as in a pack of cards) wouldn't it be pronounced the same - kah-ray-dass?

I always heard it pronounced [ka-re-da:s] in French -not [ka-re-daes], i.e. just like "carre d'as", as mentioned earlier by Richard.
Danagasta
#8 · Posted: 5 Sep 2006 14:56
Go to the French-language video clip for Flight 714 (Vol 714 pour Sydney) on Tintin.com and you'll hear the pronunciation. Yamilah's way of writing it out is probably the closest.
Ranko
#9 · Posted: 5 Sep 2006 21:19
Thanks for all of your input. It has helped.

It sounds a lot more exotic than my Carreiaiadaias!

Ranko.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!