Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Lake of Sharks: Cover change heralds the end of an era...?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Harrock n roll
#11 · Posted: 20 Sep 2007 17:37 · Edited by: Harrock n roll
jock123
It also means that Lake is now lighter to the tune of one picture - the vignette of a view across the lake with a few trees in the foreground has now gone (I think it was at least part of the "missing" section of the view on the front cover, which gets covered by the film-strip panel).

Ah yes, interesting! I was looking at the amazon.com page for the book earlier (where you can "search inside this book") and I see what you mean. I expect that means that an original Lake of Sharks, despite its shortcomings, will now become a collector's item? Actually, I used to own an original 1973 hardback but we've long since parted ways and first editions of this book are not as easy to find as you might think.

Sorry to harp on about the chronological anomalies, but I was looking at The Red Sea Sharks earlier and it struck me that this book must have really confused readers when it was released in 1960. Firstly, Tintin and Haddock first encounter Alcazar here. Tintin mentions that he goes by the pseudonym Ramon Zarate and that he used to be a knife thrower in the music-hall. Tintin readers wouldn't have been able to verify this until 2 years later when The Seven Crystal Balls was released in 1962. We also encounter Dawson, Rastapopoulos, Abdullah, the Emir and Oliveira da Figueira for the first time, all of whom were not introduced properly 'til much later in the UK chronology. Thankfully the translators didn't attempt to cover these anomalies up!
jock123
#12 · Posted: 20 Jun 2017 13:41
Well, having a look in Foyle's book-shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday, I found a further step in this particular saga: the back-cover illustration has been reinstated on at least the paperback copy I saw, replacing the gallery of covers.

The titles list has been re-introduced, but in the order that the French books were originally published.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!