(image link broken)

Then we see this one
(image link broken)

Nothing out of ordinary, right?

But in the original French version, we have this frame
(image link broken)

Then this
(image link broken)

So now we know that cute Mirza got stolen again, but this time probably ended on the dinner table of a middle class family that happened to like Slift corned beef products.
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 7 Jun 2008 22:24
Well spotted, Pharaoh! Mind, with Mirza being a daschund, she ought to be made into sausages, rather than corned beef. Or one big sausage.

And the dog listed on the "Perdu" poster next to Mirza's seems predestined by to be turned into a burger. (Although from the translation, it looks as if chien berger actually means shepherd dog in French, assuming they've translated that poster directly.)

It's interesting to speculate why the English translators changed Mirza the daschund to Popsie the poodle on that poster. I suppose they must have worried that sharp-eyed children would find the idea of a dog being turned into processed meat just too distressing if it was a dog they'd actually seen earlier in the book, though you'd have thought the whole idea of that gag is so gruesome anyway that it hardly makes much difference.
cigars of the beeper
#3 · Posted: 8 Jun 2008 13:08
That that gag is still in place in the facsimile edition. That edition does not have any page numbers, but I'm sure it is plenty easy to find the pages.

TWO DAYS LATER:
I just realized that it is still hinted at in the English color version that pets are being "processed" at the Grynde corporation. The workers tell Maurice that they are on strike because their boss decided to "Cut the cash for the dogs and cats and rats we bring in to be used for salami".
Triskeliae
#4 · Posted: 10 Jun 2008 21:52
Poor Mirza! ...And poor Snowy! I didn't like this frame because Tintin's dog is doing all the work. He's no horse!!! He's pulling two men on that cart!!
Pharaoh
#5 · Posted: 11 Jun 2008 01:30
I just realized that it is still hinted at in the English color version that pets are being "processed" at the Grynde corporation. The workers tell Maurice that they are on strike because their boss decided to "Cut the cash for the dogs and cats and rats we bring in to be used for salami".

Of course! The English book says it clearly. But it did not let us know that Mirza has become a "Hot Dog"...
cigars of the beeper
#6 · Posted: 11 Jun 2008 23:41
I suppose not.
Tintin Quiz
#7 · Posted: 12 Jun 2008 23:06
Interesting. I entirely missed the "wiener dog" joke.

(In the US, at least when I was young, a Dachshund was called a wiener dog.)
Balthazar
#8 · Posted: 13 Jun 2008 01:33
They're known as "sausage dogs" in the UK, which is obviously the same thing, hence my earlier comment. I wonder if the breed is also called something sausage related in Belgium and that Hergé picked a Daschund with this particular suitability for its processed meat fate in mind. If not, and if this particular pun-like gag only works in English or American, it seems an extra shame that the English translators took the Daschund out of the poster.
Pharaoh
#9 · Posted: 13 Jun 2008 16:08
Lol! I don't know anything about dogs and thus I missed that sausage joke. Thanks for that.

Meanwhile, I think we should have a shrine or something to pay respect to the poor thing.
ilovetintin
#10 · Posted: 31 Mar 2010 01:41
How sad!!I have only just realized the meaning of all the posters outside of the cannery

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!