Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Cigars of the Pharaoh: Meaning of "And the glass is still falling"?

paulcrompton
#1 · Posted: 9 Nov 2004 10:42
In the Joy Street-Little Brown version page12, panel 8: Allan says

"And the glass is still falling" in the middle of a sentence.

It is raining at the time and the picture shows water falling down the glass, but surely no-one outside a funny farm would say that?
Big Ren
#2 · Posted: 9 Nov 2004 16:24
As far as I know glass is another word for barometer, so he meant the pressure was still falling.
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 9 Nov 2004 16:52
I always thought he meant the rain (in Cigars, no?) but Big Ren could be right. I'd also point out to Paul that the US Little-Brown editions are the same translation as the UK Methuen/Egmont - which does have some curious Britishisms.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 9 Nov 2004 23:20
I'm sure Ren is right; glass is here a word for a barometer, and is still used by sailors. I've done a search on Google for examples, and came up with the following words of wisdom here:

The Barometer

Long foretold, long last,
Short notice, soon past,
Quick rise after low,
Sure sign of stronger blow.

When the glass falls low,
Prepare for a blow;
When it slowly rises high,
Lofty canvas you may fly.

At sea with low and falling glass
Soundly sleeps a careless ass,
Only when it's high and rising
Truly rests a careful wise one.

Before embarking on your solo circumnavigation of the globe, I'll add their words of warning
"Although there is a considerable degree of truth in them, these rhymes are not infallible and you should use them with caution".

Richard
UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 9 Nov 2004 23:47
And in the French edition, Allan says, "Fichu temps! Et le baromètre qui descend encore." So it does indeed refer to the barometer.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!