Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Shooting Star: Suspicious Sailor

skutnotscoot
#1 · Posted: 19 Jun 2012 11:54
Hi all. This is my very first post here, and I have to say I'm really happy to be part of this Tintin fan community! I've learnt a lot of interesting things here in the forum, and I hope someone could help answer a little question I have regarding this album.

Has anyone thought who the sailor in pg15 whom Tintin described as being 'not very communicative' is (since he only answers with 'yes' and 'no')? Is he one of the sabotagers working under Mr Bohlwinkel, or is he simply one of the sailors of the Aurora crew, or both? This sailor is not depicted or mentioned in any of the later pages, which, together with his rather suspicious look, led me to question his identity. Anyone got any ideas?
mct16
#2 · Posted: 19 Jun 2012 15:06
I think he's genuinely a member of the "Aurora" crew and just happens to be short on words. After all, he and Haddock share the same panel in a few scenes and the captain does not seem to be surprised by his presence.

If he was working with Bohlwinkel then he would have left the stick of dynamite rather than Hayward, the man Tintin chases when he first goes to the Aurora, and would have left the ship before it explodes rather than hang around.

PS: welcome to the forum.
Colonel Jorgen
#3 · Posted: 20 Jun 2012 13:23
I agree with mct16 that the sailor is a genuine member of the Aurora crew; however, I would not be surprised if Hergé had drawn attention to the character as a red herring to mislead readers.
When you read the book in one sitting, the effect might be lost, but to newspaper readers (remember, The Shooting Star was serialised in a daily newspaper), they might have considered him to be another villain, waiting for a resolution in the next episode.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!