Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Castafiore Emerald: Does "Brol" exist?

rodney
#1 · Posted: 6 Oct 2012 05:45
Hi,
Always found Mr Bolt entertaining in Emerald with his persistent reluctance!
When the Captain receives numerous telegrams about the possible wedding, one is from Mr and Mrs Bolt.
I noticed on page 26 Mr Bolt is indeed reading the Paris Flash magazine, you can see the advertisement for Brol there.
Great touch by Hergé, always including those little details you would probably miss on first reading the adventures!

What is Brol? Is it a French product was it popular in the 1960's, still around today, or was it simply made up for the story?
Levent
#2 · Posted: 6 Oct 2012 14:30
Brol is a detergent and soap brand. An imaginary brand, that is.

Please see: Brand Names Found in Tintin Books
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 7 Oct 2012 09:04
Brol is a real Belgian word meaning disorder, disarray or mess.

Interesting name for a laundry detergent!

http://dictionnaire.reverso.net/francais-definition/brol
jock123
#4 · Posted: 7 Oct 2012 12:06
Very interesting, Chris - perhaps linked somewhere to our brawl, “a row, altercation, strife or disorder”?
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 7 Oct 2012 14:42
I just noticed the french wiktionary gives an alternate meaning: "Objet sans valeur" or "worthless object". Perhaps "junk" would be a more apt translation? It appears to be a Marollian word, so possibly of Dutch contraction.

It seems to fit with the idea of advertising as a means of off-loading useless items, and might be what Hergé actually intended. I also wonder whether there was a real soap powder with a name similar to Brol, so that this was a pun on it. That would be very like Hergé.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 7 Oct 2012 15:41
YEt more grist to the mill there - thanks for the update!

Harrock n roll:
I also wonder whether there was a real soap powder with a name similar to Brol, so that this was a pun on it.

“Brillo” perhaps? As a Warhol fan, Hergé would certainly have been aware of that artist using the Brillo box as an object in his work as a commentary on advertising and consumerism. I could see Hergé making connection between the letters of the two words, and creating his own synthesis.
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 8 Oct 2012 22:10
jock123:
As a Warhol fan, Hergé would certainly have been aware of that artist using the Brillo box as an object in his work as a commentary on advertising and consumerism

That's a really convincing idea, but for one annoying thing; after extensive Googling, the date which keeps popping up for those Warhol Brillo boxes is 1964. If that date is correct it would put it after Emerald.

Still, that's not to say there isn't a Brillo/Brol word-play connection going on. Not to mention a bit of pop-art commentary on the "junk" nature of consumerism...
jock123
#8 · Posted: 8 Oct 2012 23:30
Harrock n roll:
If that date is correct it would put it after Emerald.

Dratted facts!

What I should have said was "As a Hergé fan, Warhol would certainly have been aware of the artist using Brol adverts in his work..."

Ah well, Chris, once more you touch your marble...! :-)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!