Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Castafiore Emerald: The armour in Marlinspike's attic?

rodney
#1 · Posted: 6 Oct 2012 06:03
On page 54 Tintin and Snowy are hiding to observe the mysterious attic events which had terrified Bianca earlier in the story!

On the top right panel, we see a different perspective of the attic, and see a suit of armour.
Could this possibly be the famous set which Tintin used to trip up the Bird brothers in The Secret of the Unicorn?
This would be a great 'Easter egg' by Herge but perhaps I'm reading too much into this!

Also 'Brol' features again!!
Levent
#2 · Posted: 6 Oct 2012 14:36
Interesting point. But that armour in attic is not same with armours seen in other albums.
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 7 Oct 2012 15:50
rodney:
Could this possibly be the famous set which Tintin used to trip up the Bird brothers in The Secret of the Unicorn?

I don't know, Marlinspike Hall under the Bird brothers tenancy seems to have several suits of armour - I counted six in Unicorn; three in the basement, one on the stairs and two hanging on the walls of the room where Tintin telephones Haddock.

It might be that after Haddock took occupancy they were all dispensed with - perhaps they were too imposing or intimidating for Haddock's tastes - and at least one of them was dumped up in the attic.

Edit: However, there are at least a couple of instances where suits of armour can be still seen at the Hall after Haddock moves in. In The Seven Crystal Balls Snowy leaps on one which falls down the main staircase. Also, in The Red Sea Sharks when Abdullah turns up at Marlinspike and the entourage set up camp in the State Rooms, suits of armour can be seen amongst the pile of furniture and displayed on the wall. In the French version Nestor refers to the room as the "Grand Salon", which would I guess be the same as a State Room, i.e. a room for entertaining (and impressing) guests.

There might be other examples, but I still like to think Haddock got rid of most of them!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!