Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: The QANTAS connection!

jock123
#1 · Posted: 18 Oct 2013 23:55
Following from the thread about the QANTAS offices in London being decorated to mark the launch of Flight 714 in the sixties, I thought I'd contact the company to see if they had any records of that or promotions being tied in to the book.

Unfortunatey the curator of their archive, David Crotty, who got back to me, wasn't able to find anything about the office in their files, but he did come across a very nice publicity picture, showing the arrival of the first copies of the books in Australia, which he has allowed us to reproduce for you here.

He also went above and beyond the call of duty, by forwarding to us a vintage scheule of flights from the period, which shows that (perhaps unexpectedly) there really was a Flight 714, from London to Sydney!

The only problem is, it wasn't a QANTAS service - it was BOAC (which, after merging with BEA, is now better known as British Airways)!

See the page here; you'll find the flight in question in the top row, about half-way across.

Not sure if that has been reported anywhere else, and I don't think I knew it before, so thank you to David for that little nugget of data!

Just for reference, B.E.A. stood for British European Airways, and B.O.A.C. stood for the British Overseas Airways Corporation; Q.A.N.T.A.S. stands for "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services"...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!