Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Black Island: Assorted anomalies?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

#21 · Posted: 27 Apr 2005 19:05 · Edited by: yamilah
It’s Gaelic, or a rendered form of such - more properly A’ Beinn Mhor.
Thanks jock123, the Concise Scots Dictionary confirms 'Ben' is a (Scots) rendering for the Gaelic 'Beinn'...

Via 'external data', an 'erased' language can thus appear, a bit like Marollien (Herge's childhood language) does from Arumbayan (see 'Broken Ear' thread)...

Hence in 'Lotus' could the message 'cercle solaire irlandais, etc.' coding 'ce soir' in the French version -and meaning 'Irish solar circle'- depend on 'external data' such as a tongue dictionary?
In other words, does a 'solar circle' mean anything in Irish/Gaelic??
#22 · Posted: 28 Apr 2005 13:24 · Edited by: jock123
Veering off topic. If you mean, is there a word for “solar circle” in Irish Gaelic, then you are probably looking for the word “Grian”, which means “sun”, often rendered in Irish English as “grange”, and used for a ring-fort or stone circle.

The largest stone circle in Ireland at Loch Gur, County Limerick is the "Lios na Grainsi" ("Stones of the Sun), so it is indeed a “solar circle”, and there are many other such “solar circles” across Ireland, Scotland and the Celtic world in general.
#23 · Posted: 28 Apr 2005 15:43 · Edited by: yamilah
Thanks jock123 for bringing these relevant external data.

Still it doesn't seem possible to match them with internal data so that they could help 'telling a story in the story', just as it wasn't the case either, in the 'Prisoners of the Sun' thread ;-)

Actually I meant Irish 'or' Gaelic (in its casual French 'distortion', i.e. what you call Scottish Gaelic).

Is that of any help?
#24 · Posted: 28 Apr 2005 16:01
Actually I meant Irish 'or' Gaelic (in its casual French 'distortion', i.e. what you call Scottish Gaelic)

“Irish” and “Irish Gaelic” are generally the same thing; “Scottish Gaelic” and “Scots” are two different things, with “Scottish Gaelic” and “Irish”/ “Irish Gaelic” being relatives (and family members with Cornish, Breton, etc.), and Scots and English being related. The two varieties of Gaelic are not the same (and the word is pronounced differently in each case [Irish “Gay-lic”, Scottish “Gah-lic”]), but either could be said to be such, without the qualifier.

Anyway, why do you need to look for a deeper meaning? Hergé needed a three word phrase with couplets “ce” “so” and “ir”, and it fits the bill...
#25 · Posted: 28 Apr 2005 18:40 · Edited by: yamilah
need to look for a deeper meaning

Imho, we are facing here a unique Tintin scene showing 'double cryptography', i.e. Morse dashes and dots leading to words, then 'syllables' chosen from these words...

Such a subject implies lots of reflection and hypothesises...
A rather simple one is there might actually be a message 'duplication' as well, i.e. two texts:
- the disclosed one, made of syllables ('ce soir, etc')...
- an 'invisible' one, made of words obtained directly from the Morse message...

As the original message 'cercle solaire irlandais direct etc.' could refer to external data such as a foreign language ('Irish'), it seems relevant to match these words with the 'Irish' vocabulary, ...just in case they were actually chosen for their own meaning, and accessorily -but quite opportunely- able to mean 'ce soir' as well...

Thanks to the Irish and Scottish Gaelic speakers for their help in this 'Irish solar circle' weird affair.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!