Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: Who is Walter, anyway?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

robbo
#11 · Posted: 16 Aug 2010 14:38
I think it is an interesting question whether the character named as Walter in Flight 714 is indeed the same person depicted earlier in The Red Sea Sharks.

One anomoly I spotted was the comparison of the rear/right profile: plate 13 page 9 Flight 714, and plate 4 page 16 Red Sea Sharks.

In Flight 714, although the angle is slightly more side-on, this profile has a jutting chin and lack of roundness in total contrast to the profile in Red Sea Sharks.

But in every other detail, association with Rastapopoulos, hair colour, glasses/sun-glasses, cigar and banded hat, the characters match.

mat
Cutts_The_Butcher
#12 · Posted: 17 Aug 2010 01:49
Combines two consecutive posts.
Karaboudjan:
If Allan is frequently reinstated as chief goon, why shouldn't this Walter be?

This is a very good point, and I think it gives credibility to the idea that it is the same character in both stories.
cigars of the beeper:
the un-named cohort of Mitsuhirato's who first appears on page 20, panel 8

I just checked and I see the resemblance, although personally I think it may be a bit of a leap to say that they are the same person.
It's easier to say that the guy with the bomb in Red Sea Sharks is the same as 'Walter' from Flight 714, as the resemblance is much more striking, although the fact that they all work for Rastapopoulos is enough of a coincidence to suggest that Walter has been a member of Rastapopoulos's gang since the 30's.
Although has anyone thought that maybe Hergé just had a model for the anonymous villainous henchman? I mean all the 'eccentric professor' characters he drew all had similar looks.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!