Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in Tibet: "Haddock leading the rest of the field...!"

tintinfreak0075
#1 · Posted: 13 May 2005 04:12
Hi there, one thing that has always makes me curious about Tintin in Tibet is a frame - page 17, frame 9, to be precise.

I don't know if this has been discussed before but can anyone tell me something about it?

- Thanks.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 13 May 2005 04:22
I don't believe its been discussed before but I don't see what you are trying to get at?
I looked at the frame, and I think it may be the only instance in the series where Tintin calls Captain Haddock, "Haddock" not "Captain".

Is that what you mean?
tintinfreak0075
#3 · Posted: 13 May 2005 17:19
I mean, in it Tintin says "...with Haddock leading the rest of the field...!", as if he is saying something to Tharkey, but it sounds like a narration continued from the caption overhead "Next Morning...".

I hope you get it.

-Thanks.
Zlip
#4 · Posted: 13 May 2005 21:49
If you look at the end of the path that they're walking on, you see the Captian far in front of the entire pack.
I think you're to assume that Tharkey and Tintin were having a discussion about it, and it sets up for the next sequence where Captain crosses the river...

...which ends up being a mistake.

I believe it's all irony.
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 14 May 2005 04:17
Oh! I see what you mean. Maybe there were some frames taken out when it was put into graphic novel format?
jock123
#6 · Posted: 14 May 2005 12:50
tintinfreak0075:
Tintin says "...with Haddock leading the rest of the field...!"

I think that Tintin is wryly giving a mock race commentary (like on a sports broadcast), which explains why Tintin uses only the "Haddock" form of the name for the Captain.

The fact that it ellides with the caption is probably deliberate, but not significant.
Karaboudjan
#7 · Posted: 14 May 2005 18:17
I always assumed he was mimicking a racing commentary too, since it's very uncharacteristic of Archie to be so full of voom.
Etterbeek
#8 · Posted: 25 Jan 2008 21:41
I agree with jock123 and Karaboudjan. In the English translation it's "the field" and in the original it's "le peloton", the cycling term for the pack. Cycling's a very big sport in France and Belgium.

And you do know Hergé drew an official poster for Le Tour de France once, eh? ;-)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!