Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

“The Adventures of Hergé”: Cartoon biography by Bocquet, Fromental & Stanislas

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

jock123
#1 · Posted: 23 Jun 2004 22:17 · Edited by: jock123
Has anyone else read this book? It is a biography of Hergé, done as a bande dessinée! The authors are (José-Louis) Bocquet, (Jean-Louis) Fromental and (No Other Name Given) Stanislas, and they have taken him from age 10 until the news of his death in 1983. It is nicely handled, and they have managed to balance the demands of being respectful without resorting to a white-wash, and also have injected a sense of fun and vivacity to the story.

Interestingly they have not used a pastiche of his own style; instead it is in a loose, more cartoony style that I would have associated with cartoonists of the 50s - sort of like Ludwig Bemelmans’ line art. I wasn’t certain if I liked it to begin with, but by the time I’d finished it I had grown to appreciate it a great deal.

There are little nods towards Hergé’s own work in the pictures and text - little coloured stars to show someone knocked out, a curly line to show someone moving quickly, and even Hergé’s startled attitude – when E.P. Jacobs demonstrates his singing! – is like Haddock.

It manages to convey some quite serious topics effectively, especially in terms of Hergé’s relationship with his wife and his affair with Fanny, and in a chilling section dealing with Hergé’s arrest by a committee of former resistance members after the liberation of Belgium: he is let go when Roger Leblanc speaks up for him, but the man he shared a cell with is executed as Leblanc and Hergé talk about reviving his career.

Some pieces of information were totally new (at least I don’t recall reading them elsewhere). One that was very amusing is the arrival of a very agrieved actress on the set of “Golden Fleece”, in high dudgeon because her rôle as Castafiore has been cut from the script; as the scene is played out exactly as a real Castafiore moment it is art imitating life imitating art.

I am very glad I got it (I finally bought a copy in French, having seen it before in Dutch), and would recommend it to those wishing an accesible and rather charming version of the life of Hergé.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 23 Jun 2004 23:55
Just to underline what Jock has said - it's a seminal work in my opinion and does convey a certain *something* that a documentary like say, Tintin et Moi never could.

And, although we've mentioned it before, it's worth seeking out the English version (if that's your prefered language) which was published in an edition of Drawn & Quarterly magazine. This is it at amazon.co.uk
jock123
#3 · Posted: 24 Jun 2004 07:21
Thanks for that, Harrock n roll - I must get around to buying that translation: I wasn’t aware of it, and I’m sure that there must be others. I couldn’t spot it listed anywhere in the sections on books in the List pages, so perhaps the title needs to be added?
MoonRocket
#4 · Posted: 26 Mar 2005 02:56 · Edited by: Moderator
I was at a local bookstore this evening and I picked up Drawn & Quarterly -- a book that showcases several comics.

I've never seen it before, but it's published in Canada and apparently it's released in volumes. I could be wrong though, because this is the first time I've seen it.

The one I bought is Volume Four, and the second feature in it is titled The Adventures of Hergé.

It's written by Bocquet and Fromental and drawn by Stanislas.

Basically, it's a 56-page comic that is a biography of Hergé. It's funny and factual, and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Moderator Note:
It has come up before, so your post has been moved to this thread!

The Happy Tintinologist Team
jock123
#5 · Posted: 26 Mar 2005 09:50 · Edited by: jock123
Stanislas also got a mention recently because of his “By the Numbers” getting an English translation.
Stas Werno
#6 · Posted: 12 Mar 2006 20:41
Just got the translation, excellent stuff! If anyone from London's interested you can pick it up in the graphic novels section, the bit round the corner next to the information desk, in Foyles on Charing Cross Road.

Well worth it!
Austin
#7 · Posted: 28 Dec 2007 13:04
This is a great work that I just got hold of. It seems strange that people wanted it be in the ligne-clair style - can't you appreciate other cartoon styles?
number1fan
#8 · Posted: 8 Apr 2011 14:10 · Edited by: Moderator
Moved from another thread…
I just did a quick search on Amazon.co.uk for Hergé and this odd little title, The Adventures of Hergé, by Bocquet, Fromental & Stanislas came up. The publisher is Drawn and Quarterly.

Moderator Note: A forum search is always a good thing, before starting a new thread. Your post has been moved here, where a discussion is already under way.
mct16
#9 · Posted: 8 Apr 2011 19:13
Edited by Moderator
It's a comic book version of Hergé's early life, illustrated in the style that he drew Tintin in the 1930s. There are a couple of sample pages on the Fnac.com page for the books - just click on the link which says "Feuilleter" towards the top left hand corner.

I wonder how much the scene in page 1 really reflects reality, given its striking similarity to the scene in Seven Crystal Balls?

I believe that the cover of the book shows Herge and collaborator Edgar P. Jacobs (of "Blake and Mortimer"). One day they went to sketch a house that they intended to use as Professor Taragon's home in Seven Crystal Balls. It was only when they were leaving that they realised that it was being used by the local SS-Gestapo (this being Belgium during the German Occupation).

Note to moderators: the links go to pages on fnac.com, the website of a major chain of audio-visual equipment and books stores, and are thus legit.

Moderator Note: Once again we'd ask that if you - or any other member, come to that - feel it is necessary to alert the Mods to something, please do it off-forum, in advance of posting, rather than posting first, and waiting for a decision. That's definitely the road to trouble.

As it happens there isn't a problem in this case: we know that fnac.com is a reputable business, and it has been mentioned before - along with the stores - as being a very useful source of French and Flemish Hergé- and BD-related material (not to mention any other films, books, CDs etc. you might be searching for, as they deliver internationally).

However, it's best to avoid linking directly to someone else's images - that's seen as leeching, meaning that it takes the benefit of their effort without them gaining from it. In this case, it was making use of the scans they provided to tempt you to purchase, without the mechanism to do so.

When appropriate, if someone provide links to the images on their site, just direct people to the page and tell them how to find the images from there. The text has been edited accordingly.

The Tintinologist Team
number1fan
#10 · Posted: 8 Apr 2011 22:08
Wow! I have never seen those two strips. Thanks for the link. I look forward to this book – should be worth a look.

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!