Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Hergé: Which National Geographic issues used?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

cuthbert
#1 · Posted: 10 Aug 2004 13:11
I recently heard Hergé used National Geographic magazines as reference material for his Tintin albums... AND! My grandad in the States has every single one of them since 1921!!! (Why, don't ask me!!)

So, I was wondering, does anybody know which ones they were, because he would be happy to send them over...

-Cuthbert
marsbar
#2 · Posted: 10 Aug 2004 14:14
Feb, Sept, Dec 1938, and Aug 1941 are the issues mentioned in Frank Madsen's article about the inspirational sources of Herge. You can find the article in the articles section of our site: http://www.tintinologist.org/articles/inspiration.html
cuthbert
#3 · Posted: 11 Aug 2004 09:28
wow! Thanks a lot! I've sent him an e-mail and the copies are on their way!
jock123
#4 · Posted: 11 Aug 2004 14:07 · Edited by: jock123
Cuthbert said:
my grandad in the States has every single one of them since 1921!!! (Why, don't ask me!!)

I once read a very entertaining article (probably in a “Reader’s Digest” at the dentist’s), which claimed [jokingly!] that the single largest threat to the planet is National Geographic!

They maintained that anyone who ever subscribed to the magazine is unable to throw it away; this has lead to massive piles of magazines, which threaten to crush continents, throw the planet off its axis etc. etc.

So much for being wiped out by asteroids!
cuthbert
#5 · Posted: 11 Aug 2004 15:44
Wow jock! You really opened my eyes, I just sent my grandad an e-mail saying to burn them all!!! ;)
Martine
#6 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 16:35
Oh, man! A friend of mine had original (and really old) issues of National Geographic. They didn't even have photographs on the covers! All illustrated.

And the idiot tore them apart for a project for class.

Had I known this before, I would've asked (begged) him to hand them to me, instead.
I remember I still yelled at him for doing what he did.
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 17:58
A special issue of the French edition of the National Geographic in November 2004 will be dedicated to this subject. Here is the presentation text by the editor:
"Le National Géographic fait découvrir le monde à des millions de lecteurs depuis plus d'un siècle. Réputé pour la qualité de ses reportages, aussi bien pour les textes que pour ses photos, le National géographic est très vite devenu une source d'inspiration et de documentation pour de nombreux artistes. C'est le cas notamment des auteurs de bandes dessinées comme des scénaristes de film.Ce numéro exceptionnel de 120 pages (grand format: 22x27,5 cm) nous dévoile l'importance et l'éventail des influences du magazine depuis Hergé et Jacobs, le créateur de Blake et Mortimer, jusqu'aux auteurs contemporains. Il représente pour eux une référence en matière d'aventures et de découvertes."
sorry for the French !
Martine
#8 · Posted: 11 Oct 2004 16:12
Don't worry, it's understandable (as longs as it is writen); do you know if this will be available on any store on the net? I'd like to get a copy.
jockosjungle
#9 · Posted: 11 Oct 2004 16:56
My french is atrocious, a magazine dedicated to the subject of Herge being influenced, or the old art styling of the magazine?

Rik
Martine
#10 · Posted: 11 Oct 2004 19:32
It's a special issue of NG that'll talk about how it influenced many artist because of the quality of its photos and references, specially comic artists and filmmakers. A pecial 120 pages issue that'll cover the importance of NG in he work of Hergé and Jacobs, creator of Blake & Mortimer, plus contemporary authors.

Now I only took like 2 years of french at junior high, so I've no idea if that's right...
Could someone specify for me please?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!