Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

“One Night in Shanghai”: A strip by Hergé and Jacobs?

Momber
#1 · Posted: 28 May 2010 16:57
I am currently reading The Adventures of Hergé and on page 98 Farr mentions a strip cartoon detective thriller that Hergé started with Edgar Pierre Jacobs called 'One night in Shanghai' in 1945. Does anyone know how many pages were made? Where I can find more info on this or perhaps a picture of one of the pages?

This is my first post to this forum and I hope I've posted in the right section.
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 29 May 2010 14:29 · Edited by: Balthazar
Hi Momber, and welcome to the forum!

The first page of One Night in Shanghai is reproduced in The Art of Hergé, Volume 2, by Phillipe Goddin, translated by Michael Farr.

Here's an Amazon link to it, if you're not familiar with the book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Herge-Vol-2-Philippe-Goddin/dp/0867197242/ ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275138746&sr=1-1

According to the book's caption text, this first page was the only page ever produced. The book also shows single panels from two other one-page demos of different adventure strip ideas produced by Hergé and Jacobs under their joint post-war pseudonym, Olaf (or Olav; I forget which and don't have the book in front of me!)

I think the pages were shown to a few publishers, but weren't taken on. And shortly afterwards, Hergé and Jacobs were given permission to work again, under their own names, thanks to the intervention of Raymond Le Blanc and his Tintin Magazine idea.

The single page of One Night in Shanghai borrows many elements of The Blue Lotus, but is drawn in a more American noir style, a bit like Jacobs' most loose and sketchy style.

By the way, I believe the Art of Hergé series is basically a translated and abridged version of Phillipe Goddin's more extensive muti-volume Chronologie series, so presumably this page also apears in the relevant volume of that.
Momber
#3 · Posted: 29 May 2010 20:39
Thanks Balthazar! I will definitely have to order The Art of Hergé, Volume 2 and the others in the series.

There are quite a lot of interesting references to books and movies that inspired Hergé in Michael Farr's book - recently I ordered Hashish: A smugglers tale by Henry de Monfreid (Penguin Classics) from Amazon. I've finished reading The Adventures of Hergé by Michael Farr and I heartily recommend it to anyone who has not read it yet.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!