Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Is there a “bible” for using the 'Ligne Claire' style?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

cuthbert
#1 · Posted: 19 Feb 2005 19:11 · Edited by: Moderator
Hi,

I draw a lot, and I was wondering if anybody knew if there is a book that contains the 'rules' of the ligne-claire?

These are things I've been working on lately:

www.freewebs.com/flamingpies

(loading may be a bit slow...)
tybaltstone
#2 · Posted: 19 Feb 2005 23:46
Hello cuthbert - I believe there is a book that contains a lot of what there is to learn concerning ligne-claire... it's called The Calculus Affair!

Very nice page you drew.
cuthbert
#3 · Posted: 20 Feb 2005 09:08 · Edited by: Moderator
Thanks tybaltstone.

Calculus Affair is indeed a very good example, because it contains different kinds of landscapes and characters. I was just wondering if there wasn't a book with more information about the techniques Herge, Jacobs, de Moor and more recent artists use(d).

Or maybe a book about how the studio used to divide the work?

[Combined two consecutive posts - Moderator]
jock123
#4 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 11:42
Well there are a couple of Tintin themed “how to…” books, L'atelier de la bande dessinée avec Hergé available in French. If you follow this link you will find the first volume J'apprends à dessiner les personnages, and the second, J'apprends à raconter une histoire is linked from that page as part of a “twofer” offer…

Don’t really know if that’s what you are after; there are other books about B.D. drawing in the “what other users bought” section on Amazon.fr - perhaps there might be something there for you? It is really a European/ Francophone tradition, so that is probably the best place to start...
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 12:17 · Edited by: yamilah
Still no book though about the making of a 'ligne claire' as defined by Herge and the treatises, i.e. legible - maybe there are good reasons to it?
jock123
#6 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 14:22
yamilah
no book though about the making of a 'ligne claire' as defined by Herge and the treatises
Which treatises? If there are Hergéian defenitions and treatises available, then surely, by definition, that’s what cuthbert is looking for…?
yamilah
#7 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 16:41 · Edited by: yamilah
jock123
Which treatises?

Well, among the B.D. theory books, some are prone to comment about what Herge called his art's legibility...

This academic and rhetorical display about the 'clear line' speaks indeed of everything but the legible technique Herge explained, the one in which words and images interact (among others, see 'le Musee imaginaire') in order to make his very drawings legible...
Why should have he used such a special word if it were to mean nothing more than 'clearly delineated' or 'easily spottable' drawings?

Imho, so much talk about a single author or his drawing's style is quite strange, as is so much silence about his legibility...

what cuthbert is looking for

Well, it depends on the author's choice: should his drawings just illustrate a story, or be legible by themselves too?
jock123
#8 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 16:59
yamilah
mho, so much talk about a single author or his drawing's style is quite strange,
Why? There are whole university departments looking at the study of art, shelves full of books about individual artists in shops and libraries – studying Hergé is just another facet of that.

There is no mystery!
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 17:13 · Edited by: yamilah
Well I do not know of any other B.D. drawer so much studied in over 200 books, so often quoted in press articles, etc...
Please let me know when you find one!
jock123
#10 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 22:46
Whilst a digression or two is to be expected in a thread, this is skewing way off the topic, yamilah. If you wish to explore the mystery/ conspiracy cul-de-sac, it would be better in a thread of its own, but I fear that it will be, as before, for naught.

If on the other hand you have, among the 200 books and articles some texts which would answer cuthbert’s question, please, go ahead and cite them-!

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!