Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q25: Swedish connections

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Mikael Uhlin
#1 · Posted: 25 Jun 2006 16:33
With Yamilah passing and nobody else posting a question, I'll give it another try;

Q25: Being a Swede myself, I'd like to know if anyone can mention two Swedish connections in Tintin.
Martin
#2 · Posted: 25 Jun 2006 17:04
One of the scientists in The Shooting Star is Swedish, and, er, I can't think of another one...
Mikael Uhlin
#3 · Posted: 25 Jun 2006 17:24
One of the scientists in The Shooting Star is Swedish

That's right (even if his name - at least in the original - Bjorgenskjold, looks more Norwegian than Swedish).

I can't think of another one

It's much more obscure but in one of the albums a Swedish name is visible and it also has to do with the making of that album...
...I think!

BTW, in one of the B/W-versions, there's a third Swedish connection.
yamilah
#4 · Posted: 25 Jun 2006 18:48
It's much more obscure but in one of the albums a Swedish name is visible

Do you mean Colonel Jorgen?
see Destination Moon p.43
& Explorers on the Moon p.39
Mikael Uhlin
#5 · Posted: 25 Jun 2006 19:03
Do you mean Colonel Jorgen?

No, that's not the one. It's a printed name on a coffin/box. Come to think of it, the name might not be in the English edition (which I haven't got)!
yamilah
#6 · Posted: 25 Jun 2006 19:10
Then it must be 'C.Olsson', in The Red Sea Sharks, p.43!

Another Swedish name is 'Vilhelmina', a ship mentioned in The Shooting Star (p.40-A3).
see http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/fra/dyn/controller/mapPerformPa ge?strLocation=Vilhelmina&strCountry=eur&google=1

NB: If not typically Swedish, 'Jorgen' is still the most frequently name found in connection with Sweden, when googling on Scandinavian sites!
Mikael Uhlin
#7 · Posted: 25 Jun 2006 19:37

Then it must be 'C.Olsson', in The Red Sea Sharks, p.43!

Yeah, that's right! I seem to remember that Hergé and Bob de Moor travelled to Sweden - or at least visited a Swedish cargo ship - when doing research for Ramona in The Red Sea Sharks, that's why "C.Olsson" appeared on the coffin. Olsson or Olson is a typical Swedish name (incl the Swedish-speaking parts of Finland). In Denmark and Norway it would have been Olsen.

Another Swedish name is 'Vilhelmina', a ship mentioned in The Shooting Star (p.40-A3).
see http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/fra/dyn/controller/mapPerformPa ge?strLocation=Vilhelmina&strCountry=eur&google=1

Correct. Actually, Vilhelmina isn't that far from where I am, maybe 200 kilometres. I've been there. However, together with its neighbouring parishes Dorotea and Fredrika, it's named after a 19th century Swedish queen with German roots, so I think it's basically a German name (spelled Wilhelmina).

If not typically Swedish, 'Jorgen' is still the most frequently name found in connection with Sweden, when googling on Scandinavian sites!

I would say that Jorgen is basically a Danish name (a version of George), which in Sweden has evolved into Joran or Goran (like our present Prime Minister Goran Persson). But it's true, there are several guys named Jorgen in Sweden as well. I've got some friends and relatives with that name.

So, both questions answered correctly.
But what about that third Swedish B/W-connection?
labrador road 26
#8 · Posted: 26 Jun 2006 01:13
Being swedish myself, I remember reading that the Rhino being blown up in Congo were changed because of the swedish publisher demanded it. That was in the color version though.

At that time Tintin were published by Carlsen in Sweden so it might be the german part of the company who made the decision.
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 26 Jun 2006 11:27
Another Swedish connection is the unique 'Volvo 444' car (a Swedish make) seen in The Red Sea Sharks (p.62, car number 24).
see http://www.vlvworld.com/544/Production444.htm

What about the extra question linked with a B&W album? Can you give us a clue?
Might be Greta Garbo, but I can't remember the book.
Mikael Uhlin
#10 · Posted: 26 Jun 2006 16:43
labrador road 26: Being swedish myself, I remember reading that the Rhino being blown up in Congo were changed because of the swedish publisher demanded it. That was in the color version though. At that time Tintin were published by Carlsen in Sweden so it might be the german part of the company who made the decision.

Yes, I think so. The change appeared at least in the Danish edition as well.

yamilah: Another Swedish connection is the unique 'Volvo 444' car (a Swedish make) seen in The Red Sea Sharks (p.62, car number 24).
see http://www.vlvworld.com/544/Production444.htm

That's right! A classic "PV"! Nice find but not the one I had in mind.

What about the extra question linked with a B&W album? Can you give us a clue?

It's a royal connection.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.