Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q209: Master's pupil

alvarolino
#1 · Posted: 4 May 2007 17:56
I've ever wondered if someone's already realized the different drawing styles we can see along the books. My question is based on this.

In which books was Bob De Moor responsible for a good deal of characthers' drawing? And what distinct characters' graphic feature may be seen between the work of Hergé and Bob De Moor?
Emerald
#2 · Posted: 4 May 2007 20:32
Flight 714. The lines outlining the characters are less subtle, more sort of fuzzy. The expressions on their faces are more extreme. e.g Allan pulling the sticking plaster off Rastapopoulos.

I think also Picaros, but not sure
tintinspartan
#3 · Posted: 4 May 2007 21:15
Why Not Castafiore Emerald, the lines were thick and the colours are so in-depth that Tintin's hair colour turned from brown to orangy-blond.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 4 May 2007 22:50
I hope you have specific evidence to back up the answer you are looking for here, and are not relying on subjective interpretation: you will have to show proof that Bob de Moor and no other artist or group of artists from the studio was involved, and be able to show that it was he and not Hergé who carried out the work.
alvarolino
#5 · Posted: 5 May 2007 04:54
jock123
I hope you have specific evidence to back up the answer you are looking for here, and are not relying on subjective interpretation

Hi jock,

I've noticed the distinctive drawing styles for a long time, specifically in the last two complete books (Flight 714 and Picaros).
When I read Michael Farr's statements about the prominent participation Bob De Moor had in drawing the characters in Flight 714, I could confirm some evidences.
Rastapopoulos' close-up at page 37 in Flight 714 is a good example. An unknown style up to that time. The expressions are excessive (note the over-wrinkled eyebrows) and can be seen throughout Flight 714 (Carreidas 46, Calculus 49, etc) and Picaros (Captain Haddock 1, the Arumbaya 35, etc).
These very same features appear in no other books, including The Castafiore Emerald, the latest book before Flight 714.
If Bob De Moor is responsible for these over-expressive faces in Flight 714, as Michael Farr points out, the characters in Picaros should have been drawn by him as well.
What's more, who else Hergé would let draw the characters apart from his right-hand man?
I think Emerald has drawn the same conclusion since her answer is what I was looking for.
Emerald
#6 · Posted: 5 May 2007 19:06
I also remember Michael Farr pointing out Bob De Moor's input in Flight 714. But it's a long time since I read it so I wasn't sure.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 5 May 2007 23:36
I take on board what you say about the fact that Bob de Moor played a larger and larger part in the proceedings as the years went on; however, I still think that the question is too subjective for the kind of thing needed in a quiz - a question with a definite specific outcome.
We cannot tell if one or other or both of Hergé or Bob de Moor worked on any specific frame, or if any percieved differences are perhaps because they had done a combined effort, so really this class of question has to be avoided.
alvarolino
#8 · Posted: 6 May 2007 00:20
Ok jock, I agree with you.
I think Emerald deserves the point and the turn anyway...
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 6 May 2007 10:32
alvarolino
When I read Michael Farr's statements about the prominent participation Bob De Moor had in drawing the characters in Flight 714, I could confirm some evidences.

The only evidence I read about is that Herge personally used to put the final touch to his characters, with Indian* ink*.

This topic is closed.