Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Flight 714: 1968 Qantas London office poster - background information?

marsbar
#1 · Posted: 20 Jan 2007 01:03
Hope someone can help with this query from Reader Jon S who is seeking background information to a poster in his possession. I quote his email:

In 1968 the Qantas office in London had an exhibition on the newly published Flight 714 which included an enormous blow-up of the last panel's 707, superbly reproduced, I assume, by Herge studios. My father bought this poster for me at the close of the exhibition. Does anyone know anything more about the background to this? I also have an autographed first edition from Herge's book-signing at Foyle's that year.
Best wishes,
jon
Renenoren
#2 · Posted: 28 Dec 2012 21:46
Hi Jon S,
I also kept this giant blow-up poster for many years!
It hung for months on the wall of a book-store in the city where I live, to promote the sale of the then new album Flight 714.
The store-keeper promised (and finally gave) me the poster. She also gave me a portfolio containing portraits of the main Tintin characters. This must have been in 1968.

Unfortunately, I thought the poster worthless when I became a grown-up, and I destroyed it in the '80's. Your message is the first time I've heard of another person who had this poster.
mct16
#3 · Posted: 28 Dec 2012 23:03
Just a presumption on my part, but it is possible that the 707, like the fictional Carreidas plane, was drawn by Roger Leloup, best known for the series "Yoko Tsuno", and was working at Studio Hergé at the time.
luinivierge2010
#4 · Posted: 25 Jan 2013 23:17
Could the poster have been based on this image?
See also the catalogue entry (Lot 349).

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!