Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Valuation: "Blue Lotus-cover Tintin" 4ft resin model

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

cannyb
#1 · Posted: 15 Oct 2008 16:51
Have recently acquired a 4ft resin model of Tintin and Snowy, modelled on the Blue Lotus cover. My local Bloomsbury has a similar size standing flat-capped Tintin in its window, so I believe the item to be a genuine production. If anyone could help me with its origins or even a value then this information would be appreciated. I can provide pics if anyone is interested.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 16 Oct 2008 11:39
I have a book which contains values of Tintin resin models, so I might be able to help. Could you say who the model is made by and does it have a serial no.?
Pixi 30000, for example?
cannyb
#3 · Posted: 16 Oct 2008 20:17
I've been all over the model and can't find any markings. However, underneath Tintin is something written in pencil (looks like #3). I'm reluctant to pull the Tintin out to read further as it could get damaged! Does your book feature these extra large models? Thanks for replying.
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 17 Oct 2008 11:04
I've had a look through the book but can't find the model you describe. You say it's based on the Blue Lotus cover, so I'm assuming you mean Tintin and Snowy poking out of a vase? There are smaller versions of such a model, the most common 16cm high. The book does feature some extra large models made by Pixi and Leblon, but not your specific piece.

Also, some models do not have markings but come with a certificate which has the serial no. and/or issue no. Most likely your model originally came with this since it's so large.

My guess is that it is very limited, the larger models generally are. I wouldn't like to guess it's worth. My advice would be to keep an eye on ebay, or browse/contact some of the stores which sell these items. Sorry I can't be of more help!
luinivierge2010
#5 · Posted: 17 Oct 2008 12:16
You should try contacting Jean-Michel Filleul (contact[at]jeanmichel.net). He is an expert from the Centre Belge des Experts en Bandes Dessinees (CBEBD) with years of experience concerning Tintin models and sculptures of every kind.

Indeed, all Tintinophiles should visit his website - www.jeanmichel.net - and cast a glance over the wide-ranging selection of photographs he provides.
cannyb
#6 · Posted: 17 Oct 2008 19:50
Thanks for your help guys. I purchased it on ebay and consider it to be an absolute bargain! I was interested in its value mainly for insurance purposes, but was more interested in its origins. I will give the email above a go though.
cannyb
#7 · Posted: 21 Nov 2008 01:07
I have done a bit more research into the item. It was created by Jean-Marie Pigeon in 1980. This link will show you more :http://www.parabedia.net/Grande_Jarre_Tintin_Lotus_Bleu_par_SOL3
luinivierge2010
#8 · Posted: 21 Nov 2008 14:53
If your model is indeed one of the Pigeon series then you have been very lucky.

One is coming up for sale at auction in just a few hours - see lot 48:

http://www.artcurial.com/pdf/2008/1510.pdf

The estimate is no less than 30.000 to 35.000 euros.
luinivierge2010
#9 · Posted: 24 Nov 2008 12:39
The model sold for 55,764 euros. Bear in mind however that this figure includes seller's commission and tax.

Nonetheless, that makes your model a valuable item - assuming that it is identical to the one pictured in the catalogue and, importantly, that it is in very good condition.

Any damage - chipped paint, etc. - will diminish its value considerably.
cannyb
#10 · Posted: 24 Nov 2008 14:14
I was amazed at the final price! Mine is indeed the item pictured but is sadly showing appearances of age, not mint condition like the one at the auction. I have sent pictures to Monsieur Pigeon so he can help me with any information.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!