Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Tintin: The Pocket Essential Guide

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

thmthm
#1 · Posted: 20 Dec 2004 05:18
I just recently started reading this "book" and Im surprised by the amount of interesting and obscure information covered. For those who have yet to go through this - dont let the size fool you...
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 20 Dec 2004 11:35
Yes, its a great little book! Could be a lot longer, but it is suprising how much stuff is covered! Only thing is I wish I hadn't bought it off ebay, it was too expensive!
thmthm
#3 · Posted: 20 Dec 2004 19:10
Well... like it says in the back of the book, it covers the books not only in the context of the series, but that of the comics medium and of society in general, so you definitley get a broader view of things....as far as the price, I bought ot for $5 +S/H
Karaboudjan
#4 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 00:57
I like the Pocket Tintin book, especially its comments on The Castafiore Emerald (have to find that book which supposedly examines it page by page!), but was quite disturbed by its coverage of The Shooting Star. Those who have read it will know what I mean.
thmthm
#5 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 03:38
Its funny - those two things are what left the strongest impressions on me too
I'm VERY curious about that castafiore book...
I love how this book goes into some of the most minute details and its obviously not from fans who are JUST tintin-"ologists" but very knowledgable of comics and literature and have done their homework
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 10:44
Yes., but Shooting Star is way better than 1 out of 5 stars and Congo is worth more than O of 5 stars in my opinion.
They are very knowledgable but sometimes don't seem to be very optimistic with Herge's works.
cigars of the beeper
#7 · Posted: 17 Jan 2008 17:59
[Moved from duplicate thread. Reminder from Moderator: please check for existing threads before starting a new one; e.g. exact phrase search for "pocket essential" in "topic titles". Thanks! :-)]

(sorry! ;))

I just got this book today in the mail. It appears to be a very useful source of information. Does anyone else have this book?
My copy is a new edition that was published last year for Herge's centenary. Surprisingly enough, my copy is a misprint. The binding reads: TINITN.
Abdullah007
#8 · Posted: 11 May 2010 06:40
Has anyone seen this book before? (Tintin: The Pocket Essential Guide ) What's it about? Is it some of the actual stories themselves, or perhaps a book about the comics?

Moderator Note: Hi, Abdullah007, and welcome to the forums! Please do a search of the forums before posting a new topic, as you will find there are already discussions on many subjects; it helps to keep things neat! Many thanks!

The Happy Tintinologist Team
Linda UK
#9 · Posted: 23 Jun 2012 02:38
25 Jun 2012 01:46 - Merged topic: The Pocket Essential Tintin book by Jean-Marc & Randy Lofficier.
-----------------

Among my various Herge and Tintin reference books i very much enjoy, and often refer to, The Pocket Essential Tintin, by Jean-Marc and Randy Lofficier (Published by Pocket Essentials in 2002 in Britain), and find it very refreshingly unique and independent in its reviews and research on Herge's Adventures of Tintin.

It gives very concise, yet detailed and interesting, information and reviews on the Tintin books, and i find it quite unique in its unbiased and often differing views and opinions from official or better known reference books by far more established or approved Tintinologist authors and experts.

This little book's detailed and clear layout and publishing chronology history of the Tintin albums, as well as the research, inspiration references, and the author's own reviews, are really very interesting and refreshingly different to other much more renowned and widely known works.

It would be really interesting to read other members reviews and views of this much understated (in my opinion) and lesser known Tintin reference book?

Personally, though i don't agree with all its findings and views, i really think its a little gem.

It greatly surprised me that i found no references to it in any "Posts and Topics" search that i did in the Forums search (despite having referred to it myself once in a recent post on Khemed or Land of Black Gold)!

What do other Forum members think or know of this interesting reference book?
Tintinrulz
#10 · Posted: 23 Jun 2012 05:31
I own the book. It's a nice, concise little guide but the book was expensive. Also, it's most certainly not unbiased and I believe they're much too harsh with some of their book ratings.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!