Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Does anyone here speak Urdu? ...or Punjabi?

tybaltstone
#1 · Posted: 6 Oct 2005 19:08
Please excuse the rather blunt question... I write and draw a comic strip and have been fumbling about with various questionable word lists for the little amount of translation I have needed now my characters are in Karachi. But what I could really do with is a generous soul who can speak Urdu, or maybe Punjabi, to help give some authentication. I don't want to get things wrong.

As you'll know, Karachi is in Pakistan, but my comic takes place some time in the 1920s, when it was all India, and I am keeping away from politics and religion. I know that there is a lovely variety of languages spoken in the various regions up and down the Indus valley, but - to keep things simple - I wish to use only one language (they journey up the Indus and beyond), and I thought Urdu, purely as it is, I believe, the official language today. I would happily go with any language, but I would like it to have been common to the inhabitants of the area, so Punjabi would be fine too. In a way, I'll take what I can get, to a degree. I'd like it to have some authenticity.

So is there anyone who can help? I will need you to be kind and helpful, to be able to put up with my ignorance, and I will send, piece-meal, emails as and when I need the translation (probably a line or two at a time - there isn't a lot that is needed).

In return - you will get goodies from my comic! I will send you some stuff, probably including, at some point, some original sketches or artwork, and certainly a free copy of the book when it is published (not imminent, I should add).

If you want to check out the comic it is at http://www.rainboworchid.co.uk

Thank you very much for reading, and thanks for any help.

All the best -
Garen.
advnarayan
#2 · Posted: 7 Oct 2005 16:39
hi
i come from india myself- but from Kerala, in SOuth India were the language spoken is malayalam. i know Hindi (though it is different from punjabi, there is a high degree of similarity) and if there is now one else to help you- i.e., those who know pure punujabi or urdu- u can count on my help
narayan- advnarayan@yahoo.com
tybaltstone
#3 · Posted: 7 Oct 2005 17:57
Thank you, advnarayan, that's really kind of you. I shall do some more investigating and may well be back in touch via this thread.
aliamerjee
#4 · Posted: 7 Nov 2005 10:32
Dear tybaltstone,
I live in India.My father knows Urdu very well and I would be glad to help.I also know other Indian languages-hindi,gujrati,bengali,
tybaltstone
#5 · Posted: 8 Nov 2005 12:04
Hello aliamerjee,

It is incrediby kind of you to offer, thank you! Can you get in touch with me via this contact page:

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/contact.html

Then I can reply by email. Thank you again, hugely appreciated.
szplug
#6 · Posted: 9 Nov 2005 17:45
If you are basing your story in Karachi , then you'll need Urdu as it is spoken by the Mohajirs (Muslims from present day India) who settled there on formation of Pakistan after the Independence and partition of India and SINDHI (and not Punjabi !!) which is the language of the Sindh , a province of Pakistan of which Karachi is the capital.
tybaltstone
#7 · Posted: 9 Nov 2005 23:22
Thnaks szplug - you're right. Looking over my notes I needed some Punjabi for Lahore, though I also wrote down that Punjabi was a stronger language in Karachi before partition. My story takes place before partition.

Many thanks again for your note - appreciated.
aliamerjee
#8 · Posted: 11 Dec 2005 08:32
Tybaltstone the link displayed by you is'nt working,please send me an alternate e-mail address.
tybaltstone
#9 · Posted: 11 Dec 2005 10:33
Hmmm - I just tried it and it worked fine :-(

How about

http://www.inkytales.co.uk/rainboworchid/readerscorner/contact.php

My contact page requires javascript to work as I don't like to put my email address on any websites thanks to spammers! Regular email is a constant battle as it is!

Thanks for letting me know, if that doesn't work I'll get my email address to you.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!