Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Kilts: What is worn underneath?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

doubleT
#11 · Posted: 30 Jul 2009 22:10
Sorry if I'm bringing back up this topic after too long.

Ranko, why would you think that Tintin wasn't wearing any underpants to begin with? Gross!!
jock123
#12 · Posted: 31 Jul 2009 11:19
doubleT:
Ranko, why would you think that Tintin wasn't wearing any underpants to begin with? Gross!!

Err... You asked the original question: if the subject is so "gross", why did you ask it? Ranko didn't make any comment that wasn't in your first post, so it would seem that you are protesting your own comment...
doubleT
#13 · Posted: 31 Jul 2009 21:09
In the words of Captain Haddock, "It's quite simple really, but also rather complicated".

For some reason (I don't know why) but I find it more gross for someone not to wear undies under their pants, than for someone not to wear them under their kilt...?
number1fan
#14 · Posted: 2 Aug 2009 22:06
I have a Scottish friend who got married, and not one man at the wedding was wearing any underwear.
jock123
#15 · Posted: 2 Aug 2009 23:23
number1fan:
I have a Scottish friend who got married and not one man at the wedding was wearing any underwear.

I won't ask why you thought to check, or keep score...?

As I said before, in the Army that wouldn't be acceptable in mixed company.

It also neglects the fact that, traditionally, men would have used the tails of the sark as a loin-cloth: the concept of wearing nothing at all is a modern misunderstanding of Highland dress.
cigee
#16 · Posted: 4 Aug 2009 12:08
OK, so I'm not an expert on the history of kilts, but I'd like to think I know Tintin.

Whether or not it's a misunderstanding, the tradition is now to not wear anything under kilts.
And Tintin, ever since Lotus, adapts quite easily to local traditions and dressing styles (unlike, say, the Thom(p)sons).

GC

PS: I don't know about the British army. But my ex used to work at the Canadian Department of Defense.
A co-worker of hers, whose husband was in a Canadian regiment where the uniform included kilts, told us tales of the regiment having to walk over a mirror to prove that they were not wearing anything underneath.
jock123
#17 · Posted: 4 Aug 2009 12:43
cigee:
the tradition is now to not wear anything under kilts.

No, it may be a fashion amongst some of those who misunderstand, but it certainly isn't a tradition in any sense of the word.
It is also a fashion to wear (when at a formal function) evening dress with a kilt at any time of day (black "mess style" jacket, black bow-tie and (shudder!) a wing-collar), in place of a tweed or barathea jacket and tie, but this wasn't the case twenty years ago, and may not be in the next twenty.
cigee:
tales of the regiment having to walk over a mirror to prove that they were not wearing anything underneath.

Old soldiers love tall tales!
Ususally the mirror is said to be on the RSM's baton, in the manner of the mirrors used to check under vehicles, and used when the soldiers are on parade, rather than marching. It'd be quicker just to have the soldiers raise the hems of their kilts, as seen in Carry on Up the Khyber (not to be taken as a documentary, by the way - it's a joke in the film...).
Can you really imagine that a regiment of soldiers would be made to march in single-file over a mirror, with someone sitting looking up their kilts...?
Not even in Canada could that pass as anything other than boring, surely? ;-)

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!