Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / The Members Lounge /

Railfanning

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Captain Chester
#1 · Posted: 9 Oct 2006 18:08
What exactly is Railfanning? It was listed as one of szplug's hobbies.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 10 Oct 2006 15:05 · Edited by: Harrock n roll
It appears to be the American equivalent of trainspotting, i.e. the hobby of watching trains and noting their serial numbers. Railfanning is a new word to me but a quick search on t'internet brings up a site dedicated to the art - http://railfanning.org/

Adding an ‘ing’ to words is very popular these days and has thrown up some strange and ridiculous new words (like ‘studenting’*). I think it’s quite fun to create your own, just to baffle people. For example:

“The weather was nice so I did a spot of tomato-ing and onioning”
or
“Whenever we go to Brussels my girlfriend likes to go trousering whereas I prefer Tintining”

Edit!
* In retrospect, studenting could be a synonym for studying and partying, so it probably does deserve to be a word.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 10 Oct 2006 16:05 · Edited by: jock123
Harrock n roll
Adding an ‘ing’ to words is very popular these days and has thrown up some strange and ridiculous new words…

Ah yes, but it has done so for generations: gardening, sailing, stitching, steepling (of fingers, mainly, but by analogy to the tower)… I’m sure they all caused raised eyebrowing in their day… even partying

It remains to be seen if tomato-ing and onioning become as popular as blackberrying (which now also means fidgeting with a hand-held time-wasting device) or even fishing; trousering is of course already an expression usually reserved for those the gutter-press find accepting bribes - I presume it is a different activity you have in mind… ;-)
tintinspartan
#4 · Posted: 22 Jan 2008 02:43
[Moved from duplicate thread.]

Long time I never check this place. I went through alot these past few months.

I am now a proud member of a railway society called KTM Railway Fan Club, based in Malaysia. I'm an expert in Locomotives running with KTMB, also known as Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad. I wonder if any of us have a passion for trains. Well, check out some of my rail clips too on my Youtube Channel at www.youtube.com/tintinspartan or visit the club website at www.ktmrailwayfan.com
John Sewell
#5 · Posted: 22 Jan 2008 15:22
Round here we've got the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, which runs from Whitby (where I live) to Pickering. As it's a very photogenic route, it gets used in quite a few TV shows and films; Heartbeat uses it a lot, and Goathland station doubles for Hogsmead in the Harry Potter films, to name but two.

I've been along the route a couple of times, and took some photos:

Sir Nigel Gresley, one of only three remaining working A4 locomotives. I love the design of these, aesthetically! Another one, Mallard, is in the National Railway Museum in York, and still holds the record for the fastest steam engine in the World.

Repton, the only surviving engine from the "Schools" class. This loco recently featured in Heartbeat, and my Dad (who knows about such things) said to me on the phone, "Repton wouldn't have been anywhere near Yorkshire in the 1960s!"

Changing trains at Grosmont. the station's been restored as it was in the 1950s.

A BR Standard "Bongo" class at Whitby station. I can see them approaching and leaving from my home, which is above the town. Seven years ago, I also used to live near Haworth in West Yorkshire, and steam trains on the Keighley and Worth Valley line used to pass on the other side of the lane!
cigars of the beeper
#6 · Posted: 22 Jan 2008 22:09
Here in New England, we have the NECR, New England Central Railroad. The tracks are only about a mile from my house. This is just a freight line. Trains come about once daily. I'll try to find some photos of NECR locomotives. I like trains, but not as much as I used to.
Tintinrulz
#7 · Posted: 23 Jan 2008 06:05
Oh wow John, the Sir Nigel Gresley train looks amazing!
Is it from the 1930's (the art deco design makes it looks to be from around that period).
John Sewell
#8 · Posted: 23 Jan 2008 15:29 · Edited by: John Sewell
Oh wow John, the Sir Nigel Gresley train looks amazing!
Is it from the 1930's (the art deco design makes it looks to be from around that period).

Built in 1937, one of 35 A4 class locos built between 1935 and 1938. Sir Nigel Gresley was the name of the engineer who designed them, so it's fitting that one of the few to escape the scrapyard bears his name!

As I said above, Mallard's the most famous A4, and was running until 1999. Since then, she's been a static exhibit at the National Railway Museum, as the cost of keeping her going was sadly too high. Here she is:

Mallard's the only A4 which has her streamlined skirting over the wheels - during WWII all A4s had their skirtings removed to make maintenance easier, but only Mallard had them restored after the last engines were withdrawn from mainline service in the 1960s. Incidentally, the NRMs a great place to spend an afternoon just wandering around, and it's free entry too!
tintinspartan
#9 · Posted: 26 Jan 2008 04:07 · Edited by: tintinspartan
Here in Singapore, we got a railway network delivering freight and passengers to and fro from Malaysia to Singapore. The name is KTMB or Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad.

Class 25 Locomotive

This loco is a Diesel GM-EMD GT18LC-2 Class 25 Locomotive with 1500 bhp on the tap. Built in 1991, these locos were meant for shunting duties but they were extremely reliable and a second batch was bought and delivered in 2002.

Class 26 'Blue Tiger' Locomotive

Pic Courtesy of fellow railfan Kelvin Khew

The next loco is a General Electric - Bombardier Blue Tiger Class 26 Locomotive. This loco built in Germany is the 2nd most powerful Locomotive in South East Asia with 3,000+ horsepower. The loco is one of the most favourite locomotives among Railway Enthusiasts here in Singapore. Although it's main purpose is to haul heavy freight trains including Landbridge and MSM Sugarliner Container Trains, It also haul passenger trains occasionally.

Class 29 'Dalian' Locomotive

Pic Courtesy of fellow railfan Yuen Shek Ngai

The most powerful Locomotive in South East Asia, the Class 29s were built by Dalian Locomotive Works in Dalian, China. These Chines Locos have a MAN engine that produces 3,500 horsepower. Introduced in 2006, the locos were giving KTMB alot of reliability problems but not to a extent that it will force all 20 of the Class 29s to be sent back.

Class 24 Locomotive

Courtesy of fellow railfan Saifulrtd

Built in 1987, these Class 24 Kawasaki Heavy Industries was KTMBs flagship model until the Class 26's were introduced. Wtih 2400 bhp from it's Pielstick Engine, they were reliable, efficient and fast. After 21 Years, these locos are going strong.

Class 23 Locomotive

Pic Courtesy of Hafizi Amal

Class 23s were introduced in 1983 and is now serving for 25 years. Producing 2,000+ bhp from a Pielstick Engine, these locos were known as Asia's most ugly locomotice due to it's 'house like shape'. Only 7 remain in active service, the others were sent to their deaths

Class 22 Locomotive

Pic Courtesy of Malcolm W Jones

The last English Electric orders to Malaysia were Class 22 Locomotives that produces 1,750 bhp from a English Electric 8CSVT MK-III engine. The locos served 37 Years on the railway and is the most famous for it's British Rail Class 37 Engine Sound 'look-alike' Only 5 remain on active service with 2 locomotives preserved.

Class 20 Locomotive

Picture Courtesy of Malcolm W Jones

The Class 20s were the first mainline Diesel Electric built by English Electric. Delivered in 1957, these locos serve the railroad for 30 years until it was retired in 1987. Producing 1,500 bhp from an English Electric Engine, these locos do look alike with the BR Class 37s besides the cowcatchers. Only 1 full Locomotive and 1 cab were preserved.

Class 21 Locomotive

Picture Courtesy of Malcolm W Jones
Built by Kisha Keiso Kasha Ltd, these locos produce 1,000 bhp and is the least powerful. These locos are the only Mainline Diesel Hydraulics ordered by the railway. The Class served 25 years before being scrapped by the end of the 1980s. Only 1 is preserved.

YDM4 Locomotive

Built by Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi India, these locomotives were loaned from IRCON at $100,000 per month. The locos were derived from Alco DL531s. The loco first touched the rails here in the 1990s. A total of 39 were sent here but 19 were sent back as there are sufficent locomotives. Producing 1,350 bhp, these locos are famous for giving out lots of clag and smoke which earned them the nickname, 'Heavy Smokers'.
tintinspartan
#10 · Posted: 16 Jun 2008 19:58
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N6LvdCpU5W0

I thought this vid may come under this thread.

It's the Eastern & Oriental Express, a luxury train that passes by my area on selected Thursdays and Wednesdays. This train have a few routes but this one is the long haul 3-day journey from Singapore to Bangkok.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!