Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Sherlock Holmes

zaveri_tintin
#1 · Posted: 9 Dec 2007 05:44
I hope all of you are aware of this classical fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. the adventures and stories of Sherlock Holmes are just like Tintin adventures and sometimes tintin is called as "Sherlock Holmes" by the cast. So what i wanted to ask was how many books and novels have you read about Sherlock Holmes?
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 10 Dec 2007 11:29
I love the Sherlock Holmes adventures, and I think I've read pretty well all of them. I slightly prefer the short stories (of which there are dozens) to the full length novels (of which there are only four, I think) but they're all great.

Hergé makes visual references to Sherlock Holmes's iconic checked tweed cape and deer-stalker hat outfit in a few of his books, such as the detective in the Jo, Zette and Jocko adventure, The Valley of the Cobras, who has to don such an outfit before the Maharajah of Gopal will believe he's a proper detective. (Actually, I think I read somewhere that this definitive Sherlock Holmes outfit stems from the work of a magazine illustrator of the strories, rather than from anything Conan Doyle wrote himself.)

There are also similarities in the way that Arthur Conan Doyle and Hergé each felt somewhat trapped creatively by their most famous and successful characters. Conan Doyle rated some of his other fiction as being better literature, and more deserving of public attention than the Sherlock Holmes stories, which he regarded as mere entertainments. Hergé dreamt for a time of giving up Tintin and becoming a serious abstract painter. But both had to submit to public/publishers' pressure to produce more of what the public wanted.

Both Conan Doyle and Hergé also suffered from the pressure of magazine deadlines when working on Holmes/Tintin stories, which might well have contributed to their feelings of being somewhat enslaved by the success of their famous characters.
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 10 Dec 2007 16:00
I have just discovered the joys of Holmes, as I'm watching the Basil Rathbone movies at this moment in time. Think I'll get a Sherlock Holmes book out of the library.
scottmonty
#4 · Posted: 10 Dec 2007 20:22
If you really get bitten by the Sherlock Holmes bug, you can begin to check out some resources for "Sherlockians," or fans of the great detective. There are hundreds of Sherlockian societies all over the world where you can meet other people from all walks of life.

Some online resources include:
http://www.sherlockian.net - a central portal
http://www.bakerstreetblog.com
http://www.ihearofsherlock.com - the first Sherlockian podcast
jock123
#5 · Posted: 11 Dec 2007 12:32
number1fan
I'm watching the Basil Rathbone movies at this moment in time.
You might, if you have Freeview (the free UK digital TV service), keep your eyes open for the Jeremy Brett Sherlock series which ITV3 shows regularly; Basil Rathbone films are excellent entertainment, but not really much to do with Conan Doyle. The Brett shows take fewer liberties (although they are not completely without their differences), and his Holmes is pretty much definitive, as far as I am concerned.
BBC7 also frequently carries the Clive Merrison radio shows; he's the first actor to carry through and complete the entire run of novels and short stories, as was his Watson, Michael Williams.
After Mr. Williams died, Andrew Sachs (the Snowy of the BBC Adventures of Tintin) took over as Watson for a further run of new stories created by the man who wrote the scripts of the Holmes series, based on the un-written cases mentioned from time to time in the Doyle originals; these have been repeated too, and aren't half bad - well worth catching if possible.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!