Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien

Page  Page 3 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#21 · Posted: 24 Mar 2008 21:03
Sapristi
TLOTR as a kind of allegory to the Cold War, and how the One Ring was a metaphor for the atom bomb; a power that can only corrupt and destroy.

I don't think so...

My edition of LOTR has a foreword by JRR Tolkien, and he said that he disliked allegory, and did not at all intend LOTR as an allegory of any real events past or present. Although, there could have been a subconscious influence.
Tintinrulz
#22 · Posted: 25 Mar 2008 02:11
Yeah, Tolkien didn't like allegory at all. I doubt the ring has anything to do with the atomic bomb but it wouldn't be far wrong to suggest his experiences in the trenches shaped some of the story.
cigars of the beeper
#23 · Posted: 25 Mar 2008 23:55
People are definietly influenced by their experiences and times, and weather they intend it or not, their works will always be somewhat reflecting the author's life and times, but that's still different from allegory.
Triskeliae
#24 · Posted: 28 Mar 2008 01:29
A shame: The Hobbit could have been turned into a film prequel of the last LOTR films. I have not only the books of both The Hobbit and LOTR, I have the audio dramas made by the BBC and the American versions also. In my opinion, the ones from the BBC are superior, but both audio drama versions are very entertaining.

And more: try my blog, where I wrote a few fanfics inspired on The Hobbit and The Lord Of the Rings.
Link removed
Tell me what you think.

Moderator Note: As Tolkien only died in 1973, his works are still in copyright; to avoid any problems over legal issues and possible trouble for the site, we cannot accept links to fan fiction on the forums.
The Happy Tintinologist Team
cigars of the beeper
#25 · Posted: 29 Mar 2008 00:52
Say, Triskeliae, speaking of the movies, do you like them? I have not watched them yet, but I think I want to. Are they good, and like the books?

By the way, I think I should mention that today is the day in 1972 that JRR Tolkien was knighted by the Queen of England.
Triskeliae
#26 · Posted: 29 Mar 2008 01:07
That is soooo COOOLLL!!!

Well, about the films, try to watch the Director's Cuts of the 3. But especially, of the second book. When I saw the Theatrical cut of The Two Towers, I got out of the cinema crying. I was so angry at how bad that cut was! They damaged the profile of the second book. The Director's Cut is the one to see.

I must say, overall, that Tolkien should be proud of these last adaptations.
cigars of the beeper
#27 · Posted: 30 Mar 2008 20:12
Aren't the director's cuts basically four hours each?
Triskeliae
#28 · Posted: 30 Mar 2008 20:15
Uhhhh... Yup! Well, three hours each. Don't watch them all in one day.

Triskeliae wrote:
And more: try my blog, where I wrote a few fanfics inspired on The Hobbit and The Lord Of the Rings.
Link removed
Tell me what you think.

Got it! Sorry about that!

...And -oops!!!- again, sorry about the double post. I thought that replying was going to fall in the same post as the Moderator's Note. New at this...Beg your pardon!

Moderator Note: No problem! And the posts are now combined!
The Tidy Tintinologist Team

Thank U!!!! :)
cigars of the beeper
#29 · Posted: 31 Mar 2008 20:51
Yeah, I don't know if I'd even watch all of one in a day. Three hours is awfully long! Anyway, I guess that they are rated PG-13 because of all of that Orc-blood getting spilled and Orc-heads getting chopped off?
Sapristi
#30 · Posted: 31 Mar 2008 22:48
cigars of the beeper wrote:
I don't think so...

My edition of LOTR has a foreword by JRR Tolkien, and he said that he disliked allegory, and did not at all intend LOTR as an allegory of any real events past or present.

I stand corrected!

It was just something someone (some critic or other) mentioned in an article i read when researching him for my project and it gave me a fresh perspective on the story. (before that i just read it as a straightforward fantasy, as you do when you're young).
I agree that allegory is too strong a word;(and come to think of it... I do vaguely remember that forward. [Important Lesson!: never comment on something you haven't read for years without checking it first!]) a subconscious influence is a better way of putting it. I believe it just makes you think about and appreciate the work on another level, which is no bad thing for any piece of art; whether its a painting, a piece of writing, or a comic book.

I haven't read Tolkiens books for a while now; I read Discworld these days, though his influence is there too.

Sorry for taking a while to post this; I had a long weekend away in London; and spent way too much money at The Tintin Shop!

Page  Page 3 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!