Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Black Books (UK comedy)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Tintinrulz
#1 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 05:17
I only discovered this show existed some months ago. Two weeks ago I found my library has all three seasons and I borrowed them.

Its an English comedy centering around Bernard Black a irritable and selfish, drunk book owner, his "slave" Manny and their friend Fran. Smoking, books and alcohol play a large part in the series and they all try to survive in the modern world.
Its very funny, surreal and just plain good English comedy! (reminiscent of Fawlty Towers and Monty Python, but mostly original weirdness!)

Does anyone else enjoy this series?
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 17:13
I also thought it was very funny.

I don't know if you guys down under get “Green Wing”, a more recent comedy show with Tamsin Greig, but that's pretty hilarious too.

Bill Bailey is quite a character on his own - check out his website! - Recently I saw a stand-up comedy show which he did for TV and the finale was a take on what it would be like if the band Kraftwerk had made a version of “The Okey-Cokey” - with robotic dancing and sung in German! It's required viewing!
jock123
#3 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 17:35
Harrock n roll
Recently I saw a stand-up comedy show which he did for TV

I was actually at that recording!! Part Troll, live at the Carling Apollo (not that you see me on screen, but I'm in the balcony...)! It was hilarious, and not just Das Hokey Cokey ("...ein, aus, ein, aus, man schwenkt es alles um. Man macht das Hokey Cokey und man drecht sich herum - das ist die ganze Sache...!") - I was especially pleased with the revelation of what The Edge would sound like if he didn't have effects pedals.

Bill Bailey is a musical genius, as well as being very funny, and is well worth tracking down.

I'm not so keen on the Bernard bloke - I once was in Foyle's bookshop in Charing Cross Road, and he (the actor not the character) was in (Bernard in bookshop - what were the chances, eh...?) and on his mobile 'phone, and he sounded exactly as obnoxious in real life (maybe he was just having an off day...).
John Sewell
#4 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 19:15
jock123 said:
he sounded exactly as obnoxious in real life (maybe he was just having an off day

You probably like the bit in Shaun of the Dead where he gets hoiked out of a window and graphically pulled to pieces by zombies then! ;)

I really liked Black Books, and must admit, I find Tamsin Greig rather fanciable - I was pleased when she turned up in Doctor Who a while ago in a nurse's uniform... ahem...

I'd like to third Harrock and Jock's appreciation of Bill Bailey - he's as funny as a very funny thing, and shares my not-so-irrational hatred of Chris de Burgh's Lady iin Red ("That man has no right to look so smug!" from his Room 101 appearance.)
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 19:41
John Sewell and must admit, I find Tamsin Greig rather fanciable

A mate of mine, the drummer in our band, used to go out with her. I was quite jealous until he mentioned that they were 4 years old at the time...
tybaltstone
#6 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 19:53
I'm afraid I didn't like Black Books that much, but loved Bill Bailey in it. Hopefully you'll all like me again if I tell I thought Green Wing was very funny, and I think Spaced is just fantastic.
Dupondt
#7 · Posted: 1 Nov 2007 01:32
Oh my god it's amazing! Dave syndrome, pure genius
south37
#8 · Posted: 1 Nov 2007 08:07
I thought Black Books was okay but I, too, loved the Green Wing. Surreal, original and overflowing with memorable characters. For my money it's the best TV comedy to emerge in years.
darkpetals
#9 · Posted: 1 Nov 2007 09:15
I love this show, I instantly fell in love with it after I saw the first episode (which happened just by chance, out instructor in British Studies had randomly shown it to us before Christmas). Seeing Bernard makes me smile, because I wouldn't believe there is indeed somebody who is more creative at procrastination than I.
Wendy_Dorothy_Alice
#10 · Posted: 23 Mar 2008 23:09
I really love this show (despite still being too young to watch it, technically) and I have since I was eleven. I was an odd child. Dave Syndrome is genius.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!