Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintinologist.org /

[Resolved] Help: can posts be edited by the sender?

jock123
#1 · Posted: 25 May 2004 07:43
Hi!
Is it just me, or is there no obvious way to go back into a post and edit it once it is sent? There isn't a preview function here, so it isn't always easy to spot mistakes. On other forums (fora?) I have visited, there is often a button to allow a post to be re-opened by the sender, at least before someone else has answered it.
It would be nice to be able to eliminate some of my more glaring typos and gaffes!
Cheers,
Jock123

ERRATUM!!
D'oh!!! I just found how to do it - click on the word Edit at the top of the post (I'm doing it now!). A preview might still be nice.
admin
Administrator
#2 · Posted: 25 May 2004 12:01
The Genie is working on the preview function now. :)
jock123
#3 · Posted: 25 May 2004 15:46
Thank you, oh guardian of the lamp!
admin
Administrator
#4 · Posted: 26 May 2004 15:36
The JavaScript-driven message preview function should be working now.
finlay
#5 · Posted: 4 Nov 2004 23:11
I've just been told (twice!) that I can't edit my old post. I posted this on the relevant topic as well. I'm quite angry at this because while I'm OK with admin people editing my post if it got out of hand (at least, I can understand why), I'm certainly not OK with them retaining editing privileges on my posts which I don't.
I would actually prefer if admin people never touched the edit button above my post, because I'm really not OK with other people editing what I wrote.

Edit: Pressing Edit on this post worked, actually, but in two other places it said "Access Denied".
Martine
#6 · Posted: 4 Nov 2004 23:15
I think if you try to edit right after you posted, it might not work, cos the system is like busy. I'm not sure, but it has happened to me before.
admin
Administrator
#7 · Posted: 4 Nov 2004 23:49
finlay wrote: I've just been told (twice!) that I can't edit my old post.

Currently, posts that have not been edited by Admin can be edited for up to 48 hours after they have been posted. In most cases this allows for time to fix typos and broken links, and also helps to prevent individuals from editing their posts to back-track a particular stance or add a heap of new information (when an old post is edited, it does not appear in the recent posts list. Therefore, if the post contains a lot of new content, it will be overlooked by most people.) Sincere apologies for my having failed to explain this in our user guide (which I shall update as soon as I can).

Martine said: I think if you try to edit right after you posted, it might not work, cos the system is like busy. I'm not sure, but it has happened to me before.

That is the spam/flood control at work: there is a time delay between each post/edit.

--
UPDATE: I have udpated the 'Editing messages' section of the forum user guide.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!