Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintinologist.org /

Breaking the rules on forums

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

andrea
#1 · Posted: 24 Mar 2006 15:33
Hi, just interested in how often do you break forum rules??? (any forum) this is the first forum I have joined (i joined about the 10/3/'06) and have broken the rules twice :-) !!! anyway what are rules for??? :-)
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 24 Mar 2006 19:54
Needless to say, ‘Breaking the rules on forums’ is something to avoid as often as possible!

I think it might be difficult to appreciate but if we didn't keep to the rules then these forums would be not only an unruly mess (in my opinion) but the whole site could easily be closed down.

The rules are your friend. Love and cherish them. You know it makes sense ;-)

Cheers!
SingingGandalf
#3 · Posted: 24 Mar 2006 20:22
Your right there Harrock. Another forum I belong to (not Tintin related) is a real mess. Everybody goes completely off topic, and uses bad language. Also you can't access topics more than a month old, so the same stuff is repeated repeatedly.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 25 Mar 2006 07:12
I break the rules every so often, normally starting a new thread when one exists. To be honest the rules are not that harshly enforced as I've never known anyone to be banned or anything just receive a friendly reminder.

I don't really think I've ever seen any problems witb trolling or anything. But I am always curious about the posts that have been removed

Rik
SingingGandalf
#5 · Posted: 25 Mar 2006 09:14
Someone on another Tintin forum said that they got banned from this site. So apparently they do ban people.
admin
Administrator
#6 · Posted: 25 Mar 2006 14:06
Many thanks for your comments, folks!

andrea wrote: what are rules for?

The Terms of Membership/Rules are there to ensure this site is a safe and enjoyable place to be.

jockosjungle wrote: I don't really think I've ever seen any problems witb trolling or anything.

That is because trolls have a better time elsewhere! ;-)

jockosjungle wrote: But I am always curious about the posts that have been removed

They are quite boring, really. Typically, removed posts are those that fall into one of the following categories:
- unacceptable material (e.g. links to sites that offer unauthorized Tintin material)
- pointless or way off topic (the post contributes no value to the forum)
- crosspost (same message posted to more than one forum)
- duplicate
- flamebait
- spam

SingingGandalf wrote: ... apparently [Tintinologist.org] do ban people.

Yes, we do--but not without reason!

We expect our registered members to follow the forum rules and all related policies. Registered members who choose to persistently break the rules or ignore moderator warnings will likely have their accounts pre-moderated or suspended or banned; and extreme violations may be reported to the appropriate ISP for further action.

Some sites have rules and do not enforce them, but Tintinologist.org is not one of them.

Play nice and have fun!
Danagasta
#7 · Posted: 25 Mar 2006 17:38
What would be a reason someone would be reported to their ISP? I've never heard of that happening on an Internet forum, just chats and message boards run by the ISP itself. And not for nothing, but can't people just ignore things they don't want to read?
admin
Administrator
#8 · Posted: 26 Mar 2006 03:13
Danagasta wrote: What would be a reason someone would be reported to their ISP?

Spamming would be one.

Danagasta wrote: I've never heard of that happening on an Internet forum, just chats and message boards run by the ISP itself.

I believe there are lots of things we all have not heard of. :-)

Let me make it clear that the moderators and I do not like to ban or report anyone: we prefer to give forum members a gentle tap on the shoulder in the hope that most will get the hint and play by the rules. Members, please read notes from moderators and do what they ask.

Danagasta wrote: And not for nothing, but can't people just ignore things they don't want to read?

Of course people can ignore whatever they choose to ignore; however, acceptance of our Terms of Membership/Rules and posting guidelines, including any amendments we may make in the future, is a condition of signing up for forum membership at Tintinologist.org. (Signing up to be a member at Tintinologist is purely voluntary.) Registered members can choose to ignore the rules if they so wish--but doing so will not make the rules go away, nor will it excuse breaking them. Members who continually disregard rules and guidelines can expect to face disciplinary measures.

Cheers!
andrea
#9 · Posted: 28 Mar 2006 14:17
Danagasta wrote: And not for nothing, but can't people just ignore things they don't want to read?
Admin:Of course people can ignore whatever they choose to ignore. HEAR HEAR !!!

P.S. When I try to log on it doesn't work but i can still post veiws. ???
and when I mentioned what are rules for I meant to add, if not to be broken but i think I will ignore putting that in.
Stas Werno
#10 · Posted: 6 Aug 2006 14:01
My main forum has no rules, and a very unique set out, no smileys or pictures or signatures, just what we're saying and its displayed in a special tree format so you can easily see who's replying to who. Because of this we have very open conversation, and swift too (a few hundred threads a day).

May sound odd but it really works, most of us are liberal open minded adults so swearing doesnt bother us, we talk about everything from the days events to past events, political views, sex, taste in music and film... even drivel like what we're having for lunch.

the problems this creates are few, mainly being that its very addictive even if its a bad day and everyones talking tosh, and also there is alot of pointless rubbish sometimes, but its all good fun.

its benefits are much more though, all the londoners meet up all the time and some have become great friends, weve started club nights, had people release records on major indie lables, we share each others music and films... and this is all because there are no rules it means our real personalities shine through alot more and we can form stronger bonds

so the answer is no i havent, on that forum anyway, though due to being used to this forum i have got banned from others for assuming they were equally liberal :/

i try and behave here though :)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!