Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintinologist.org /

[Discarded] Suggestion: forum has gone stale - add an avatar system?

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 24 Dec 2009 11:37
Recent weeks its become pretty stagment on here is there anyway we can introduce an avatar system?.
cigars of the beeper
#2 · Posted: 24 Dec 2009 20:24
I would say things haven't been terribly exciting around here lately, but that's just something that happens occasionally. I think that we'll have more interesting discussions again soon. Anyway, I don't think that having avatars would solve it, unless we wanted to discuss each other's.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 26 Dec 2009 21:28
number1fan:
Recent weeks its become pretty stagment on here

Well, allowing for the fact that the “oldest” item in the 20 listed on the front page was posted on the 19th, and that Christmas has been in the middle of it all, it seems that things are ticking over; as Mr. The Beeper says, it is holiday times, so I wouldn’t expect that there are many people hanging around here at the moment. Other than that, there isn’t a lot that can be done - people either post, or they don’t…
number1fan:
is there anyway we can introduce an avatar system?

Not unless James Cameron joins… ;-)
If by avatar system you mean those pictures which people sometimes have next to their name, I’m not sure how that would help make things less “stagnant” - it would just be “stagnant, with images”.
Apart from the fact that I don’t know it is technically possible, it could be a potential mine-field: we can’t have images of Tintin or any of Hergé’s characters, and those that people did use from other sources would have to be copyright cleared too. Much easier to keep it clean and un-cluttered.
Ranko
#4 · Posted: 28 Dec 2009 10:19
Do you mean the look of the board needs changing, number1?
I quite like the look of it. It's un-cluttered and refreshing compared to some sites out there.

If you mean has there been a lull in the posting well as jock says, avatars will not help this. It will come right sooner or later.

I haven't been around for quite a while. It's good to see the old names still posting. ;-)
cigars of the beeper
#5 · Posted: 28 Dec 2009 13:55
An avatar system, of course, wouldn't look too bad, if there was a rule that said that it had to be a picture of Tintin!
jock123
#6 · Posted: 28 Dec 2009 16:05
cigars of the beeper:
if there was a rule that said that it had to be a picture of Tintin!

Were that to be our rule, then I wouldn’t think that there would be much future for the site… We’d soon get a rocket, and it wouldn’t be one of the Professor’s!

Ranko:
I haven't been around for quite a while. It's good to see the old names still posting. ;-)

And welcome back to you too! Long time no hear! :-)
Ranko
#7 · Posted: 28 Dec 2009 18:30
Thanks, Jock. Unfortunately my visits are - shall we say - somewhat sparodic due to work commitments, etc, but I still try to look in every so often.

This topic is closed.